Removing Fret Dots From Fingerboard

Really depends what the fretboard wood is. I mean if you have a wood like figured cocobolo, no chance. black consistent ebony? maybe!

I think replacing the dots with another material which you prefer is probably gonna be a better idea than removing them. Otherwise you're looking at replacing the entire 'board.

S

tadaaaa !

i asked the same thing to a guy who changed the pups and bridge on this guitar i got! looks fine from the distance ! since the fretboard wood changes color a bit, near the nut the dots are darker than the wood !!

but those are just wood plugs in the place of the dots !

hope it helps !

doadora5hh.jpg

I agree. Your best bet is to just redrill them out (which if you don't get them RIGHT on could jsut make things worse....), so I suggest if they're plastic dots right now to take something hot and heat them up and you should be able to get them out like that. Then clean up the hole after you get most of the plastic out. Like they said above, then replace with a material that you like more. Abalone dots are classy. Real MOP comes in a number of colors like black, white, pink, gold. Those you can all buy. Also check out www.masecraftsupply.com for their "recon stone" it's semi precious gemstones that come in a PLETHORA of colors... however you can't buy dots in that pre-made. However, I can help you out with that if you decide to go that route.

Chris

Ecxept the Jem 7V comes with a vine, not dots ... so that either is a fake or has already been changed before the dot replacement.

Drill a smaller hole in the middle of the dot, heat it up, and pry out the rest of the dot. Then you can figure out how you want to fill the holes and clean up the board.

Ecxept the Jem 7V comes with a vine, not dots ... so that either is a fake or has already been changed before the dot replacement.

Drill a smaller hole in the middle of the dot, heat it up, and pry out the rest of the dot. Then you can figure out how you want to fill the holes and clean up the board.