Neck Design

Well some of you might have noticed from the electronics forum that I picked up a G-707 guitar synth the other day. Just thought I'd enlighten you all as to its quirky form...

roland19g707.l.jpg

The second neck thing above is made of some wierd plastic material, and is bolted onto the headstock, and the tuners are bolted through that and the headstock (the plastic second neck kind of wraps over the headstock top). Anyway, it seems to connect to the body through some rubber seal and more bolts. At first I thought it was some midi reason (they say about it on some old websites), but I've found it makes the tone of the guitar unbelievable!

With this wierd neck, you can hold a note almost indefinitely! The sustain is amazing, and the guitar sounds like a Gibson Les Paul, but yet its a bolt on with alder body. Just thought I'd let you guys know so you crazy builders could think of some way to maybe incorporate the second support neck into the first to make a better neck. This is all through a normal amp btw, not through the synth module. I would highly recommend any guitar builders try out this guitar, its very unusual but has an amazing tone.

Edited by Myrk-

I did a setup and new nut on the bass version of one of those. I didn't think it played or sustained any better than a normal bass but the electronics were pretty amazing. I saw the bass played at the Filmore in SF and even with a 4 string it had the ability to be almost sub-sonic. Feel the bass.

I did a setup and new nut on the bass version of one of those. I didn't think it played or sustained any better than a normal bass

From the description I read, it seems that extra bar fills the same role as adding carbon fiber rods to the neck?

Although I think the look is pretty cool.