Heating Pads Spec Fox Bender

Hi,

Can someone give me the details/specifications for the LMII (Or similar) silicone heating pads as used on the Fox bending M/C.

What I am after is the Length,Width,Thickness and wattage.

I am in Australia and am trying to find a supplier down here.

Regards

Greg

5” x 37” for the large one and 5 ¾” x 12” for the cutaway version according to the catalogue. No info on thickness and wattage, but I guess its pretty thin and maybe some 100-200 Watts. I used 450 totally using light bulbs, and that wasn’t enough for the cutaway. So somewhere around 200 for a direct contacting heat blanket might do the trick. Hopefully some one else have more accurate information.

Nope. Much higher. 5" wide is good, something between 34" and 36" wide is good, and you don't need huge amounts of power; I think I've got 5 watts/square inch blankets (total wattage for the LMI blanket (Benchmark Thermal) is 1035 watts, 220V unit, and the two Minco blankets are 120v, 875 watts each), although I'm fairly certain the 2.5 watts/square inch ones should be more than up to the task.

The blankets themselves (wirewound silicone heating elements) are very thin, say 1.5-2.0mm or so. Only come in standard thicknesses, I believe. Honestly, I ended up just getting stuff direct from the US, because local suppliers either didn't want to sell to private individuals, or the quoted prices were absurd.

Before you spend the cash at LMII or any other place try the source:

Omega Engineering-silicone heating blankets. Product number SRFG-636 is 6x36 and will cost about $75 US. The cheaper price may offset shipping a bit. They have many different sizes as well so you can customize your setup to your needs.

~David

Thanks,

I have found a supplier down here in Australia,and am just getting a quote off them now.

I have asked for a price on a 6 inches wide,3 foot long 1.5mm thick ,and 1000Watt

I am getting ready for the shock!

Greg

Could you post the supplier please, i am looking to buy a blanket as well a supplier down here would be great.

Hi Dave,

I dont know if I would bother! They just quoted me $900.00 AU I will check with them,but I hope they are kidding!

I have emailed Omega Engineering to see if they have a distributer down here.I will let you know.

Any way FYI this is the company.

Thermal Electric Elements

www.thermalelectric.com.au

Good Luck

Greg

Thanks

If omega does have a supplier i'd love to know.

Dave

I sent them an email,but the UK office looks after AUS,and they havn't go back to me yet.

I cant believe its so hard to get them down here!!

Looks like LMII

Regards

Greg

Thanks

If omega does have a supplier i'd love to know.

Dave

I sent them an email,but the UK office looks after AUS,and they havn't go back to me yet.

I cant believe its so hard to get them down here!!

Looks like LMII

Regards

Greg

Omega has various international distributors, including several in Europe.

And yet...I got mine in the US. I'd consider getting one from John Hall at Blues Creek guitars, good service, good prices. You might also want to ponder getting a transformer (stepdown to 110V) and using that, so that you can get one with controls (again, John's package deal is cheaper. Shoot him an email). If I was doing it again/buying more, that's what I'd be doing.

Thanks Mattia for that info.

It looks like I am not going to get it down here .I can't believe it can be so hard to get things like that outside the US.

I might try using some 150W light globes and see how that works.??

Has anybody tried using 12V/50W halgon lamps for heating.??

If all else fails,I will get one from John.

Thanks

Greg

Thanks Mattia for that info.

It looks like I am not going to get it down here .I can't believe it can be so hard to get things like that outside the US.

I might try using some 150W light globes and see how that works.??

Has anybody tried using 12V/50W halgon lamps for heating.??

If all else fails,I will get one from John.

Thanks

Greg

(3) 150 watt lamps will provide enough heat to bend non-cutaway sides. You will have to get creative with foil to contain the heat, take your time (lamps work slow). After you have the side bend and locked be sure to keep it cooking to be sure it gets warm enough to take the bend, You need to reach 250-300 degrees (and that is not easy with lamps alone). I use lamps and supliment with a heat gun (checking temp with a temp probe). I think heat blankets are probably a much easyier solution if you have never bent before.

Peace,Rich