Tune-o-matic To Floyd Rose Conversion On A Jackson Rhoads

Hey in the near future I plan on buying a Jackson Kevin Bond Signature Rhoads guitar and I was wondering if it was possible and how much it would cost to convert it to a floyd rose original bridge. some pros and cons of this if possible too.

The Guitar itself will cost $1189 USD

heres some pictures

229237.jpg

229238.jpg

229239.jpg

specs:

MODEL NAME Jackson Kevin Bond Signature Rhoads

MODEL NUMBER 290-0500-(599) and 290-0501-(599)

SERIES Pro Series Artist Signature

COLORS 290-0500-(599) Black with Blood Red Bevels, (BBRB),

290-0501-(599) Black with Flourescent Green Bevels, (BFGB),

Gloss Polyester Finish

BODY Mahogany

NECK Neck-Thru-Body Mahogany

NECK DIMENSIONS 3rd Fret: .790”, 12th Fret: .850”

TUNING MACHINES Die-Cast Tuners

FINGERBOARD Ebony

NO. OF FRETS 22 Jumbo Frets

BRIDGE PICKUP Seymour Duncan® “Iommi” Humbucker

MIDDLE PICKUP N/A

NECK PICKUP N/A

CONTROLS Volume

BRIDGE JT390 Adjustable Bridge with Schaller® Fine Tuning Tailpiece

PICKUP SWITCHING None

HARDWARE Black

STRINGS NPS, Gauges:

.009, .011, .016, .024, .032, .042

CASE Optional Deluxe Molded Case

PICKGUARD None

SCALE LENGTH 25.5”

WIDTH AT NUT 1-11/16”

INTRODUCED 1/2005

UNIQUE FEATURES Compound (12” to 14”) Fingerboard Radius,

Pentagram Position Inlays,

Blood Red Jackson Logo

Ivoriod Binding on Neck and Headstock

I would like some feedback on this because I am planning my finances ahead of the purchase so I can know approximately what i can purchase

For the money, why not get a guitar that actually is what you want?

$500-1,000 for a trem conversion, depending on quality of hardware and labor/finishing.

For that ($1,700-2,200) you should be able to find a guitar that is already what you want.

Heck, maybe even get a custom guitar built!

For the money, why not get a guitar that actually is what you want?

$500-1,000 for a trem conversion, depending on quality of hardware and labor/finishing.

For that ($1,700-2,200) you should be able to find a guitar that is already what you want.

Heck, maybe even get a custom guitar built!

I would do that except a jackson custom costs upwards of 5000 or more and I am purchasing this guitar mostly for the inlays too. I recently calculated the cost of building this on my own and found out it would still cost more. I will determine whether or not i like the fine tune tail piece when i buy the guitar and if the cost is closer to 1000 i will just buy another guitar, which i am not too opposed to but i just fell in love with my friends new 2000 dollar US RR1, which includes a floyd rose original.

I would agree on the custom shop angle, but if you go to a friendly dealer you can get a hell of a lot of discount off the price. My wife used to deal with ESP for customs, and there's a pretty significant fraction you can take off the cost for dealer profit. Not sure how it works with Jackson. If you want it done badly (as in well, I mean) there are plenty of people who do sterling work on this board who would be more than happy to do the work, but won't pull punches on the sum cost of labour and parts. It's not a cheap job to have done well, but you can easily have it done badly if you don't spunk your cash.

So this is a double-endorsed guitar? Wow, Fender's really pushing the limit there...and maybe if you get famous with your Floyd Rose version, they'll put out a new model called the Jackson Maxdgad Kevin Bond Signature Rhoads :D

I'd think if you're really careful, it should be possible to install the Floyd Rose yourself --or find a buddy who builds guitars to do it.

Seems like one issue might be hiding the holes for the tailpiece studs--but you can do something funky there like fill it in and puts spikes on top, something like that.

You're risking ruining the finish, but it might be possible to mask things off.

So you'd be out the cost of the Floyd Rose...I don't know how much those cost.

But the main difference between the Kevin Bond version and the RR1 (other than the FR) is just the look, right? The inlays and bevel color? I suppose it's up to you whether that difference is important enough to go for the modification. I can certainly understand how it would be.

So this is a double-endorsed guitar? Wow, Fender's really pushing the limit there...and maybe if you get famous with your Floyd Rose version, they'll put out a new model called the Jackson Maxdgad Kevin Bond Signature Rhoads :D

lol that reminds me of an edroman article. i'm not actually interested in kevin bond because i personally think his music sucks, but the design of the guitar is really what caught my eye.