Drill Press Pressure?

How much can a regular drill press do? This is for fretting.

I was so happy yesterday that I'd get to finish my first neck when I tried to press the frets with my drill press

But it seemed it was too weak. :D

I quickly backed away halfway into my second fret when I realized this won't do..

Pulled out the frets and all

But am I just getting scared? Or are drill presses far more capable then just drilling, including giving a half-ton pressure with ease?

I've used mine to fret two guitars. One ebony board, one maple board and it worked fine. I had to put alot of pressure down with the ebony, but it got the job done in the end. And it still drills. Not to mention this is a crappy under $100 home depot ryobi drill press.

Chris

All sat quite nicely, except like two. And it's the opposite of what you're thinking. They sat too LOW. IE: to MUCH down force. Yeah, like I said, not what you were thinking. But yeah, I was happy with the job. My drill press still works like a charm. The guitar plays great (other one is curing as we speak). And get this... I didn't even do it with a caul. I did it with a 1" cut-off of a radius sanding block with a dowel for the part that goes into the chuck.

Chris