Recipe Needed For Gibson Heritage Red (sg Red)

Hey all you Gibson Gurus,

I've searched the forum for details on how to acheive Heritage Red on mahogany, but nothing specific was returned. I've also read the information on Guitar ReRanch's site and I'm not interested in purchasing their aerosols because I have spray equipment. I also know that Stew-Mac offers a book on the subject of finishing that would tell me what I need, but I prefer to ask you experts with experience.

I'm specifically looking for what type of grain filler and dye you think works best along with product sources. Any application tips you want to share would also be helpful!

DIY, I recently finished an SG in cherry red and basically used the modern finish from the Stewmac book. However, I tested the process on scrap mahogany before attempting the guitar. On one piece of scrap, I followed the Stewmac recipe. On the other piece, I sprayed a coat of sealer before applying the dark walnut pore filler, with all other steps the same. What I found was that I preferred the piece where I applied the sealer first. It wasn't as dark and the color more uniform that applying the filler directly to the wood. Your mileage may vary, so I suggest you test.

DIY, I recently finished an SG in cherry red and basically used the modern finish from the Stewmac book. However, I tested the process on scrap mahogany before attempting the guitar. On one piece of scrap, I followed the Stewmac recipe. On the other piece, I sprayed a coat of sealer before applying the dark walnut pore filler, with all other steps the same. What I found was that I preferred the piece where I applied the sealer first. It wasn't as dark and the color more uniform that applying the filler directly to the wood. Your mileage may vary, so I suggest you test.

johnsilver, Thanx for the heads up. I will definately be doing test pieces. I didn't think about how the sealer application could affect the color shade. Good tip!

• 15 years later...

@Tommy Dugelius did you notice that this thread is already 16 years old?

A more detailed search revealed that @PunkRockerLuke last visited this forum nearly two years ago.

Based on his forum activity you may not get the answer very soon. But who knows, maybe he gets an email every time his name is mentioned and chimes in to read your wish. Miracles do happen.