Built In Electronics And Effects...

Hey guys,

I was looking into building in some effects inside my guitar.. I looked at some different pedals and they were way too huge.. I did see a guitar a while back that had built in effects (probly 5 or 6 different types).. Also, I'm into the more industrial type of music and I tought of putting a sampler into my guitar.. has anyone done this or what do you guys think of this??

Scab

There was a thread about a guy with a guitar on youtube that had a MIDI controller, effects, all sorts of cool stuff. Also, Pagelli built a Alesis airFX into a guitar... but then again he's a genious... lol

So yes, it CAN be done. And no, once you get off the hulking casings the effects pedal's aren't so complicated and big. Usually just a circuit board that'd fit into something no bigger than a les paul control cavity sized space. I've always thought it would be cool to take a 7-band EQ and build it into a guitar. But make it look like the 3 band that most of the godin's have on their upper horn. I'd put the sliders behind the bridge maybe... running perpendicular to the string path?

Chris

I'm always worried about the quality though. I've seen ONE in real life, seen many on the web. But the one I saw was a Danelectro with about 5 built-in effects. Now.. how I got to see/hear it is why I'm worried about the quality. My friend bought it off his friend from school for about 75 bux but he didn't like it so his friend just took it back (with full refund of course).

The effects, if I can remember correctly.. overdrive, phaser... not sure about the rest 3.. lol. but they were crap. End of the story.

but of course I'm sure there are other guitars with good built-in effects.

I'm planning to put this in my current project. Just a little crunch and a twee bit of lead tone.

You're looking for one of these: Electra MPC --they come up on ebay every now and then, sometimes just the effects part (which all fits on a pickguard I think), and they don't seem to sell for much.

While I agree that adding effects to the guitar is a tempting idea, it seems too limiting to me --for one thing, you're stuck with only those effects. Of course, if it's exactly what you want, then that's not a problem. For another, you're stuck with that guitar --again, not a problem if you're able to play just one guitar all your life.

To me, it makes more sense to build an external effects module of your own --say, something that can be housed in a slim plastic case-- you can attach that to your strap and just run the controls so that they can attach to the front of the guitar somehow.

Or just go with the usual pedal board on the floor --there's a reason why we come with two feet, too. Getting to the effects on the guitar require you to let go of the strings with your hand.

Guitar Fet1sh (my computer blocks the real word) has a bunch of active components. I am considering trying one for my next project. I bet if you take the circuit out, you could fit it onboard as well.

Edited by custom22

I have to agree with Mickguard here...I would think the way to achieve your goal would be to build your own effects unit and keep the size small. Perhaps make it rack mount or just stackable on your head. Make a remote control pedal system and concentrate on keeping the size to a minimum (only include the switches you will need). Then you will have everything you want in a package that will take up a tiny amount of room on the stage (or studio) floor, and you can use it with any guitar...Rog