Painting The Pickup Covers And Pick Gaurd

Hello Everyone.

I am a painter but this is the first guitar and I had a question. I have painted the pickgaurd and pickup cover on a mexican strat. Wondering if the combo of paint and clear has any effect on the sound. The pickups are mounted to the pick gaurd.

I have included a pic of the project before clearcoat. Any advice is appreciated.

Allan

jimi.jpg

Paint on a solid body electric shouldn't effect sound output. If you notice any difference then I guess you better call the Guinness people. BTW, AWESOME paintjob! Make sure your clearcoat is compatible with the color coat, but I have a hunch you know your business in that area. :D

Paint on a solid body electric shouldn't effect sound output. If you notice any difference then I guess you better call the Guinness people. BTW, AWESOME paintjob! Make sure your clearcoat is compatible with the color coat, but I have a hunch you know your business in that area. :D

Thanks. I thought as much but was not sure because of the pickups being mounted to the plastic not the body.

As far as paint I have a little expierence. The paint it Dupont , House of Kolor automotive base coat and it will be cleared with a Dupont high soilds clearcoat. I have actually cleared it and am in the process of polishing.

A little about my experience

Creative Cycle Works

Nice work!

Yeah, that is nice. A friend of mine GAVE me a very nice airbrush set. Looks like I should start practicin.

Thanks Guys. This is actually my first portrait although I airbrush quite a bit. I just finished a wicked darth vader spare tire cover. I painted this guitar for free for a talented friend who is a working and touring musician. He saw the pictures and commented " I should have given you a better guitar because this will get played a lot now".

Nice work!

Yeah, that is nice. A friend of mine GAVE me a very nice airbrush set. Looks like I should start practicin.

Thanks Guys. This is actually my first portrait although I airbrush quite a bit. I just finished a wicked darth vader spare tire cover. I painted this guitar for free for a talented friend who is a working and touring musician. He saw the pictures and commented " I should have given you a better guitar because this will get played a lot now".

Here is a picture of the back of the design. The pink and blue candy were used to create the purple.jimiback.jpg

Got it all finsihed and put together minus stringd which the owner will do. Very happy with the finished product and hoping it sounds fine. jimihendrix.jpg

That looks awesome!

You seem pretty talented with that airbrush

That is so sweet. I want to blend my pickguard in with the body but wasn't sure how it would look. But looking at that I will try and think of some ideas within my painting limits.

Nice Job

Pick up some bulldog adhesion promoter to prep the plastic for paint. It comes in rattle can also if you do not have a gun. Scuff the plastic and coat with bulldog and then paint. No need for primer if you use the bulldog.