First Build: Chambered Tele

Thanks for the support guys!

Chunkie: oh yes, a neck is the next big step, I have some long pieces of beech block left over from a some new kitchen work tops I can have a practice on.

John: Project#2 has started, it's the Mojo, based on the Parker Fly singlecut shape, I started a thread on here about it, made some classic errors already on that one! :D

• 3 weeks later...

My chambered tele finish gets a rethink.

Since finishing this project, the appearance has always bugged me. I went for a couple of dark brown and dark red stains over a nice thick flamed maple top. This was buffed with tru-oil then sprayed with rattle can clear acrylic. It was ok as a first go, but somehow let the instrument down.

The original finish

I decided to strip back the maple top and try and do a better job.

Once attacked with the belt sander the lacquer soon fell off. The colour proved more tricky. I gave the face a liberal wash in white spirits then wet sanded with white spirits and a sponge sanding pad. This helped fetch some more colour from the wood.

Binding channel rout on lower horn

I then routed a perimeter channel and fixed a strip of cream binding from Allparts.

Binding being fixed

Once fully dried, I continued dry sanding with 600 grit by hand to get back to the white maple. I added a little hand rollover on the edge where the wood met the binding.

binded.jpg

Now that, i think, is a huge improvement. I'll finish this with clear gloss Rustins Plastic Coating for a clean, blonde natural look. Thanks to the UK GB forum guys for the hints and the courage to try the binding rout!

I think the P-90's go well with the cream binding.

That chip on the treble side of the neck pocket is a special design feature for holding guitar picks. It's currently at the beta stage. I've approached Fender with my idea but they felt it just looked like I'd chipped the wood.

The true extent of my genius will only be fully appreciated many years after my passing.

That chip on the treble side of the neck pocket is a special design feature for holding guitar picks. It's currently at the beta stage. I've approached Fender with my idea but they felt it just looked like I'd chipped the wood.

The true extent of my genius will only be fully appreciated many years after my passing.

:D

she looks 120% better with cream binding and natural maple.

Indeed she does

Edited by Ben

I have been playing her a lot today thru my marshall 6101 30th anniv. tube amp. I must say I'm really pleased with the p-90 tone, the whole thing, it's got that agressive tele 'pop' when you hit the strings hard, that edgy jangle but grittier with the p-90's and a less glassy brittle edge, I presume due to the chambered mahogany construction which adds a bit more warmth and resonance. It's a great combination which now makes my MIM Tele a bit on the thin and aggressive side.

The neck pup is superb with a touch of overdrive for bluesy solos, and backing off the vol and tone with both pups together gives a marvellous gritty jangley sound. The bridge pup has a lot more bite but still good bass to carry through a strong balanced sound, cutting but not too harsh.

Most pleased!