True Satin Finish With Rattle Cans

ok..which one of you outlaws stoled my damned post? :D i did actually write something..don't know where it went.

what i said was this: i don't know often this would come into play while building a guitar. Most of mine are hand rubbed oil but i have been trying for years to get a true satin finish on a lot of my other wood art. i've tried every brand of rattle can available to me here and the problem is that because most of my work is with "found" wood..wood on the ground, driftwood, etc...and i'm spraying end grain, soft spots, knot holes and such that it takes quite a few coats to get a consistent finish. when you spray satin or semi-gloss that many times it becomes glossy.

today i tried something new..i bought a can of krylon matt finish that's used for ceramics and sealing water color and charcoal paintings. i sprayed it on several pieces...all made from different woods...until i got a good seal. then i shot one coat krylon satin and it worked perfectly. a nice low sheen finish.

like i said, i don't know if this will ever help anyone here but after ten years of trying i had to brag a little. :D

I use one of those grey plastic scotchbrite woodwork finishing pads, a bit like a green nylon washing up pad, to gently rub the gloss off a paintjob to get a satin finish. A bit softer than wire wool.

I use it to take the gloss off my guitar necks, makes them feel wonderfully slinky, I get quite turned on just thinking about it. must go now.

I use one of those grey plastic scotchbrite woodwork finishing pads, a bit like a green nylon washing up pad, to gently rub the gloss off a paintjob to get a satin finish. A bit softer than wire wool.

I use it to take the gloss off my guitar necks, makes them feel wonderfully slinky, I get quite turned on just thinking about it. must go now.

well damn..you make that sound like something i definitely need to try. :D

here's one picture of what i was working on:

f1.jpg

i use these to make jewelry which i sell at a couple of stores here in town and that will be featured on the website i've been building..and i'm hoping that it will be up and running next week.

here's a link to a couple more pics of things that i make and needed that finish for.

My Webpage

You can also get the scothbright pads in gold which is even finer than the grey. I have also used a white version that I get from a window tint distributor for cleaning class. The white one turns flat black spray paint into a satin black that matches car interior dash parts perfect.

• 1 year later...