Thoughts On This Flame Billet

Hughes

especially for only $40 (closer to $70 with shipping)

i think it would look good with this as a neck also

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...DME:B:BCA:CA:11

The flamed billet isa fair looking piece. It looks pretty well quartered and the figure is med. but looks nice and vert. At $40 it is an fair price. Seems like the shipping makes it kinda spendy (why is shipping $3.00 lb.? I ship overseas for $2.00lb.). As for the neck. I would keep looking. That neck is flat to rift sawn and will not make a good blank. This is what you would want in a good quartersawn neck blank(flat sawn is ok with hard Maples, but flamed figure will be strongest quartersawn)-click

Peace,Rich

What part of this statement did you not understand? :DB):D

You are agreeing to a contract -- You will enter into a legally binding contract to purchase the item from the seller if you're the winning bidder. You are responsible for reading the full item listing, including the seller's instructions and accepted payment methods.

thanks! any chance the guy will remove my bid if i tell him i didn't know it was not suitable for a guitar neck? :D

i may also go for this

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...;category=48315

since its already bookmatched and it's very close to me :D

That piece would make good laminates I bet, or maybe binding. You shouldn't bid on something unless you are buying it. If you pull out now, just because you changed your mind. You are screwing the guy over (not right). He is asking less than $5 bd. ft. for the wood (with shipping $10 bd. ft. delivered). You are not getting a bad price for flamed maple, and I am sure you will be able to use it for your guitar work.

P.S. Part of getting lower prices for wood is having to know how to select it. If you buy "tone" wood it costs more because it has been selected from their stock as meeting certain requirements (and that is a very small percentage of even good clear stock). If you select the wood yourself from the "mixed lot"(so they don't have to). You save money, but you have to learn what to look for (that is your part of the deal).

Peace,Rich

You are agreeing to a contract -- You will enter into a legally binding contract to purchase the item from the seller if you're the winning bidder. You are responsible for reading the full item listing, including the seller's instructions and accepted payment methods.

he agreed to cancel my bid or give me a piece of hard curly maple for the sdame price...but agreed, i shouldn't of asked him to pull my bid, I dont usually sink down that low so i responded with if he had any pictures but also told him to keep my bid in because i NOW feel like im screwing him over...

Also, I obviously dont know what to look for other than it being beautiful. For some reason I never consider strength an issue.

Edited by Hughes

he agreed to cancel my bid or give me a piece of hard curly maple for the sdame price...but agreed, i shouldn't of asked him to pull my bid, I dont usually sink down that low so i responded with if he had any pictures but also told him to keep my bid in because i NOW feel like im screwing him over...

Also, I obviously dont know what to look for other than it being beautiful. For some reason I never consider strength an issue.

If he is willing to work with you and you can pick up a hard curly blank instead that is cool. Sounds like a win for both of you.

If you don't know what to look for take the time to learn (that is part of building). If you just want to go for looks, buy it from someone who knows how to evaluate instrument wood for a given purpose. You will pay for their time and the higher grade of wood, but that is your choice. Invest your time or pay for theirs. If you buy "instrument" grade neck blanks from say Gilmer(or many other very good specialty wood suppliers)- it will be suitable, but a little more expensive.

Good luck!

Peace,Rich

the seller of the neck blank decided to let me take this instead

curly.jpg

yet it looks kind of bare on the one side

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/Mar...etal/curly2.jpg

I like the looks of the one on the link Rich showed me so i might have to get both. :D

That again is flatsawn so the curly figure will not look as strong. If you were to cut and laminate that on edge (closer to quarter) I bet you would be supprised how nice the figure looks. If you get really well quartered it will show a bit of flecking (that just makes a neck look sooooo cool). That piece would be nice for laminate stock. When you are looking at pic's of curly wood. You have to remember the curl rolls, and you may get a bad angle or odd reflection (making it look like there is no figure). Look at the grain and try to read how the figure should look. If you see one side that is closer to quarter and it has strong figure, but the other side appears to be closer to flat and you don't see much figure. You are seeing what you would expect. If you see a board that looks very well quartered and the figure seems really strong on one side but looks like nothing on the other, that could be lighting. It is especially deceptive on bookmatched sets. If you see one side of a book match that is full of figure and the other side looks weak. It is most likely just the light (reflecting on one side of the curl but not reflecting off the mirror of the curl). The blank you are showing should look weaker because it is flat sawn, yet it is very present and vertical. Looking at the side the figure appears to be full. It doesn't add up that the back of a 4/4 board would have zip for figure (probably lighting or angle or even distance). Fiddleback is even harder to see in a pic. You should also note that the link I sent was Western Maple and figure is usually much stronger than hard Maple.

Peace,Rich