Routing Pickup Cavities

al heeley

I've had no luck searching the forums, I need some advice about pickup cavity routing from the experts. I'm very new to routing and finding it hard to get a really nice clean edge and corners.

Do you guys have any advice and tips for a quick jig you can alter the dimensions of, for routing pickup cavities and similar rectangular areas?

Any tips on securing the jig to prevent movement, without denting the guitar body?

Thx in advance :D

I'm cutting out a template from a MDF sheet or similar scrap bits of wood. I'm doing it by jigsaw, hacksaw or stanley knife, it's not a great straight edge or true square corners. I'd like something truer and adjustable. I don't know if there are any tricks to it but what I'm doing at the moment is a pain and the end result is not satisfactory. There must be a better way!

• 2 weeks later...
I'm doing it by jigsaw, hacksaw or stanley knife, it's not a great straight edge or true square corners. I'd like something truer and adjustable. I don't know if there are any tricks to it but what I'm doing at the moment is a pain and the end result is not satisfactory. There must be a better way!

Patience and sanding paper.

The sides of the a MDF sheet are nice and square, you could use them as guide for the template bit. This results in nice square edges of your pup cavities.

Draw pup cavity shape on piece of MDF. Dril hole in middle, stick jigsaw in hole and rough saw with jig saw. Stick nice square MDF (or other piece of wood) on top of MDF on the marked line and route nice square edge in template. Continue with procedure till all sides are nice (and square with nice 1/2" corners).

Just some sandpaper to really dress it up and you're ready to go.

Trick is to miss-use a straight edge to create another straight edge.

Edited by RGGR

• 3 weeks later...

Also...

Don't use a laminate trim router.

Make sure you have a nice 2 handed variable speed router with a small diameter bit. 1/4" would give you a nice tight corner.

And it may go without saying, but I will say it anyway.

Many shallow passes with the router will yeild a better result than few deep ones.

Let the router do the work, dont force it.

Good luck with it