Michael Kelly Guitars

Kith

well, I managed to save a little money and I decided I would like to get a new guitar with it. I have been keeping my eye on the Michael kelly guitars, especially the valor and hourglass models for a while now, but I have never actually played one.

Guitar Player Magazine reviewed the valor custom, and said it was pretty good. I am just worried about it's upper fret access because it's neck is set so far into the body. The MK website said their bodies are made of solid mahogany, but I read a review on harmony central from someone who said his was laminated.

I am also very interested in the Reverend warhawk electric, but i have never played one of those either.

any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Edited by Kith

well, I managed to save a little money and I decided I would like to get a new guitar with it. I have been keeping my eye on the Michael kelly guitars, especially the valor and hourglass models for a while now, but I have never actually played one.

Guitar Player Magazine reviewed the valor custom, and said it was pretty good. I am just worried about it's upper fret access because it's neck is set so far into the body. The MK website said their bodies are made of solid mahogany, but I read a review on harmony central from someone who said his was laminated.

I am also very interested in the Reverend warhawk electric, but i have never played one of those either.

any help would be appreciated

Thanks

I have several MK's and I love them. The build quality is fantastic. As far as a laminate, he or she might have been refering to the figured top which is 1/4 inch thick on both my patriots. The pickups in the older ones are ok but I always upgraded them with Vintage Vibes or Seymour Duncan's. The new customs have excellent pickups in them. They also have released a LTD verson with a spalted top and they will be releasing other with exotic tops. They are the best guitar for the money. JMHO :D

-Ralph

Check out the Touchstone.

Edited by mammoth guitars

I think im sold on the Michael Kelly valor custom. now i just have to choose a color...

You really should try to locate and play one, or at least buy from a mail-order that has a return guarantee. I've played Revs and I know they're good guitars for me, but you could love or hate one too. Same for the MK. It's made in the same factory as the MusicMan-knockoff OLPs.

Upper fret access looks like it may be a small issue on the MKV, but the top carve may be generous enough to allow good upper fret access. Like I said, try to try one out before you're totally committed to it.