Motor Wiring For Drum Sander?

pgosselin

Hi all,

I am well on my way to completing a homemade drum sander with a one hp, 110/220, one phase, reversible motor I got off of eBay. Only problem is that I can't distinguish which colored wires to connect to make this sucker run. I don't want to connect my wires incorrectly and blow something up.

There isn't a wiring diagram on the motor that I can tell. (Not even on the inside of the wiring access plate.) The other tricky thing is that this motor was manufactured in England so the colors of the wires may be different from the ones here in the US. If anyone can suggest how to wire this thing up, I would really appreciate it.

There are 5 wires: red, blue, yellow, black, and twisted yellow/green. After Googling electric wiring diagrams for an hour or so it looks to me like yellow/green is the British color code for the ground wire. It's the other wires I can't figure out.

Some other information if it will help:

The motor is reversible. It was manufactured by GEC Machines, Ltd. It is type BC2511/12DP. 1725 rpms. Frame 56. Capacitor start. 5/8" shaft.

Thanks for any help you can offer on this--even if it's to tell me how to use my multitester to figure it out.

Paul

Maybe this will help some ... scroll to the bottom:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-phase_electric_power

Here's a quote from the 'web:

"I'm not sure what you're describing in the motor. However, induction motor

lead numbering is standardized by NEMA. There should be 6 wires coming out

from the motor labeled 1,2,3,4,5 & 8. For 110v 1,3 & 8 are connected

together

to L1 (one wire of line voltage), and 2,4, & 5 are connected to L2 (the

other

line voltage wire). For 220v motor wire 1 is connected to L1, and 4 & 5 are

connected to L2, and 2,3 & 8 are simply connected together. Two reverse

rotation switch 5 & 8."

And another link that may be useful ...

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/elec-mtr/elec-mtr.html

I found this color-to-number mapping, though it doesn't match your colors:

Blue = 1

White = 2

Orange = 3

Yellow = 4

Black = 5

no 6

no 7

Red = 8

Brown = J

Hi all,

I am well on my way to completing a homemade drum sander with a one hp, 110/220, one phase, reversible motor I got off of eBay. Only problem is that I can't distinguish which colored wires to connect to make this sucker run. I don't want to connect my wires incorrectly and blow something up.

There isn't a wiring diagram on the motor that I can tell. (Not even on the inside of the wiring access plate.) The other tricky thing is that this motor was manufactured in England so the colors of the wires may be different from the ones here in the US. If anyone can suggest how to wire this thing up, I would really appreciate it.

There are 5 wires: red, blue, yellow, black, and twisted yellow/green. After Googling electric wiring diagrams for an hour or so it looks to me like yellow/green is the British color code for the ground wire. It's the other wires I can't figure out.

Some other information if it will help:

The motor is reversible. It was manufactured by GEC Machines, Ltd. It is type BC2511/12DP. 1725 rpms. Frame 56. Capacitor start. 5/8" shaft.

Thanks for any help you can offer on this--even if it's to tell me how to use my multitester to figure it out.

Paul

First is the capacitor built in or on the motor? Usually they connect with 2 brown wires. As far as Mains power the White is neutral in the US, the Blk(hi), Blue(med), and Red(lo) is the common and are normally used for multi speeds. Some have additional wires that set the Rotation, GE motors have an additional 4 wires that are Brn, Yel, Org, Purp. These connect Brn to org, and Yel to Purp for CCW and switch the yel and org for CW. Now your motor may have these internally? or jumpers inside the cover plate?

Hope this helps in some way.

MK