Saying hello and...

Hello all...I'm new to this forum. Hope to be posting some photos of my knock-off Telecaster relic project soon! Brian just sent me the replacement neck (many thanks on the tuners Brian!).

I shot the body the other day...(Guitar Re-Ranch Butterscotch Blonde). It started out as an AXL Sherwood Tele with a clear poly finish over natural which I then sanded with a 220 grit and then began shooting. Not too shabby for my first time around. I shot several coats of Rust-oleum clear lacquer over the butterscotch blonde.

Next, I worked on the neck while all the chrome sits in a plastic tub along with the muriatic acid fumes giving the chrome the old look. The neck was finished in a clear coat by Brian before he shipped it to me.

Once I got hold of it, I used the 220 grit again and then lightly shot some Guitar Re-Ranch Butterscotch tri-burst on the backside of the neck to give it the "amber" look.

The fretboard is a very light colored maple so I broke out the 220 again and roughed it up and then rubbed Kiwi med. tan shoe polish on to it. The result is amazing.

I know that none of this may be of interest to anyone other than me but I gotta tell you, I'm having a ball. It may not be a `54 Esquire that's been to hell and back but it's all I can afford now and I'm having fun.

When it's completed, (waiting for the acid fume bath to finish and the matte black 1 ply pickguard to arrive) I'll get the photos posted!

CT Dude :D

Hey Butnut...thanks for the vote of confidence! I'm coming down the stretch right now with the project...should only be a few more days before I can reassemble and restring. I'll make sure to shoot pictures.

Speaking of pictures...do you have any of what you've done?

Thanks!

CT Dude

P.S. I spoke with Nate Snell who is considered to be one of the best relic guitar makers and he told me about the Ferrous chloride and he also told me about Muriatic acid. I opted to use the Muriatic acid because he said that you can control the oxidation a bit easier. It just takes longer.