Rg550 Refinish

MikeB

I am re-finishing this RG550, so since I have been away for a long time I decided I would keep you posted with updates.

The final colour will be a blue to black burst.

This is the guitar as it was a couple of hours ago:

SSC_5749.jpg

There is a wee ding on the front which I repaired with Metalik, a car body filler. Its good stuff, IMO better than wood filler by a long shot.

SSC_5750.jpg

I then sanded to 600 grade paper. This took the belt rash our nicely. I used a bit of oak to act as a neck of sorts so that I have something to hold when its wet etc... common sense really. The red tape is just holding some foam over protruding screws - no slashed arteries today :D

I use low tack masking tape to cover anything i dont want painted such as the foam in the trem cavity, the spring claw in the rear trem cavity, and between the false neck and the body.

The problem with the low tack tape is just that. Low tack = pain in the ass, barely sticks to anything. At least it wont mark or damage.

SSC_5751.jpg

I am using Nitro sprays from Halfords. These have worked well for me in the past.

I will post more when I have more. I have 1 coat of blue down, it is looking good.

Cheers,

Mike

I have a photo as of a few hours ago of the basic blue coat.

SSC_5754.jpg

Thats about 5 colour coats on, I have another one on drying as we speak.

A note on spraying:

Use a respirator, dont fart with cheapo masks. Your lungs are too important.

Heat the cans in warm water so that they feel warm on your hand, make sure to shake very well. If you shake it and it feels cold again it means the paint inside isnt warmed up yet and needs more time.

Heating the paint is THE most important tip I have ever learnt in terms of spraying. Jeremy I thank you - it is such a brilliant tip!

I spray about 4-6" from the surface (i dont measure, im guessing here) and i spray at an angle, maybe 60 / 40 degrees, I find this helps the paint to evenly spread and not to leave lines.

Many thin coats.

Patience.

I repeat. Patience. I cannot stress this enough. I have learnt the hard way, patience pays off.

I sand inbetween every coat with blunt ish 1200 grade to take any pips of roughnesses off, I would say this is important.

Cheers

Mike

I am using Nitro sprays from Halfords. These have worked well for me in the past.

Are you sure its nitro?

Halfords here just sells acrylic

I was fairly confident it was, its certainly not Plasticote. I will never use that stuff again!

Its he Halfords grey spray tin paint. I was almost sure it was Nitro perhaps I am wrong, but they work very well. They have a great gloss from them and the clear laquer is a great one.

Mike

I have used it a couple of times and it has come out well, but one bad experience was enough to deter me, I cant be going through that again.

Cheers, your project looks class by the way :D

Mike

It was last year, I'm still recovering (hehe)

Basically I used it as I usually did, but this time it wouldnt harden, It was very soft and I couldnt get a shine on it, it stuck to things, had to strip it completely back. This happened to a mate of mine - he was going to do a build from parts, painted the body, and the paint thing happened and he gave up right there.

Mike

ts he Halfords grey spray tin paint. I was almost sure it was Nitro perhaps I am wrong, but they work very well. They have a great gloss from them and the clear laquer is a great one.

Yeah thats the stuff.

I was almost sure it was acrylic! Maybe it is nitro...

If its the same stuff that I've used then keep your finished guitar well away from guitar stands with that rubber tubing stuff on them

Mine reacted with the stand and it left these horrible melted browny/black bits on the boddy and neck :D

I got that once, but not with this stuff... I think Plasticote did this to me. I had a body done (for myself), laquered with that stuff, and I gave it 1 day to dry before assembling (totally not what I would do, but I was in a rush and didnt care what happened) - It was fine, left it on that stand, grand. Turns out assembling it soo soon did it no harm, but I will leave this one a week or so when I have the final coats on. Thanks for the heads up though.

Right now there is one coat of clear on, unfortunately some dust got onto the top coat which is annoying since I spent soo long making sure it was dust free. Ill sand this down.

This is a pic of it pre-clear coats. It looks lighter than it is because I sanded it, and the flash lightened it somewhat.

SSC_5759.jpg

Cheers,

Mike