Wtb: Used Bending Iron

verhoevenc

Hey, I was thinking about getting into an archtop soon (probably a select pine/plain maple home depot style one for practise before making a nice one) and therefore obviously need a bending iron. I don't have room for, or the tools to make a fancy side pending jig like some of you guys have, and I kinda wanna learn the traditional way too...

SO, getting to it, does anyone have a bending iron that they no longer use and would be willing to drop on me for a good price (I can't stomach paying the prices stewmac and lmii charge for a piece of metal that gets hot).

Thanks,

Chris

Get yerself one of them 'lectric irons for startin' a charcoal grill. $8

Get ya some 2" diameter plumbin' pipe with an end cap and a flange for screwin' it to a base. About $10.

Jam one into the other, fill the pipe with sand, jam a bunch of tin foil in the end to hold the sand in.

Clamp it to the bench with a couple o' squares of ceramic tile underneath.

Might want a dimmer switch to control the heat. Maybe $5.

I used it once on my mando sides. Took awhile to heat up, but worked OK....after I scraped the tape off the pipe.

Next day, I started saving up for the heating blankets.

But I'll probably use it again.

Edited by erikbojerik

I think that covers the bending pipe.

Now I am going to tell you to save yourself a lot of trouble. Make a mold, and while you are at it stick a couple extra boards on the stack and make sides for a bender. You will save yourself time and trouble by just making a side bender. It is pretty easy, and you can use it to bend binding if you use wood binding. Plus.... you will have a bender for your acoustic that you know you want to build. :D:D

Either way keep it simple and have fun with it Chris. I think you are going to have a lot of fun building your Archtop.

Peace,Rich