African Mahogany Dyeing

prauny

I would use Stew-Mac's Cherry Colortone liquid dye, and mix it in with an oil based pore filler (which you need to do anyway) so you will pore fill and dye all at the same time.

BTW, how can you make a guitar body and have NO scrap wood left over from the blank?

Did you throw it all away?

If so, that was a bad move, because you need some scrap to find out how strong to make your dye before you put it on the guitar. :D

I would use Stew-Mac's Cherry Colortone liquid dye, and mix it in with an oil based pore filler (which you need to do anyway) so you will pore fill and dye all at the same time.

BTW, how can you make a guitar body and have NO scrap wood left over from the blank?

Did you throw it all away?

If so, that was a bad move, because you need some scrap to find out how strong to make your dye before you put it on the guitar. :D

Yes its sapele mate, cheap at the moment, free for me B)

I cut the body in a mates workshop, and the work shop is far far away. I can get hold of the off cuts, but i'd have to wait. I just wanted to know what type of dye to use for my type of wood, and as i already have the water dye i wondered if that would do. Dont worry mate, im not about to just slap the dye on the body without testing it out first. And thanks for the tips dude :D

Edited by prauny

Dont worry mate, im not about to just slap the dye on the body without testing it out first.

Glad to hear that. :D

You CAN use waterbased dye IF you use a waterbased pore filler, it will mix right in, but again, you need to play around with the strengths to get it right first.