Bass Tremolos

1. I've only heard it used for special effects. Take a listen to some Primus songs (John the Fisherman intro comes to mind) and you are sure to get an example.

2. Some major routing.

3. You really shouldn't skimp on quality. Buy from either Warmoth or Stewmac. Bass trems are already very tricky to keep in tune (so difficult that you would probably find yourself rarely using it), and that would only be compounded by a cheap knock-off.

I have 3 bass trems, none are actually on any of my basses though. I have one from Hipshot, a FR knockoff or licensed, and an ancient Vibrotek "Double Whammy" . Mot Tremolos require the same basic routing as that found in say, a strat. Kahler makes some nice ones that actually require very little routing and they're the ones Les Claypool, unfortunately they will run you just under $200. Les has used his extensively on the first few Primus albums and a little on the last one. The nice thing about bass trems compared to guitar trems is that the minute detuning that occurs when you fully "bend" is barely noticable when compared to a guitar. I've toyed with making one myself. You could probably make one yourself if you had a drill press and some aluminum. Look at some of the designs and make your own decision.

Edited by weaponepsilon

the only trem system i can find for sale anywhere is the hipshot one, they have kahler bridges on warmoth but not the tremolo ones. I was thinking in about a year and a half when i graduate higschool i was gona build a full custom 5 string and i thought a trem would be really unique, i just don't wanna get it if its gona go outta tune terrably, i want it to be usable.

Nah, the bass trems aren't exactly pitch perfect, but they are hardly noticable compared to a guitar with a tremolo. If you want a 5 string tremolo, I have a complete 5 string hipshot I might be willing to sell. PM if you're interested. All my trems came from ebay and were real hit or miss. I couldn't find them most of the time.

Edited by weaponepsilon