Building A Saga Les Paul Copy

the prs one i have is definitely solid basswood under the veneer fwiw

Where I accidentally sanded through the maple veneer on my SAGA LP, I found Basswood.

Looking that the control cavities, I'd say they used some kind of rotary saw or really badly worn router

because of the lines left behind.

Where there's grain showing I'd say it's the veneer or basswood.

IN hidden areas where it won't be seen I'm content to believe that it's MDF.

For all intents and purposes, MDF is just really dense cardboard.

Again with the shielding paint, it is really hard to tell what is inside there, though

no-one will ever know once I've got it all together. :D

I really doubt that they're using MDF anywhere on the guitar. Maybe plywood of some sort, but not MDF. For one thing, MDF is more expensive than regular plywood, does not glue well with other solid woods and is prohibitively heavy.

It appears that the grain on the sides of the guitar appears to be natural. How many pieces of basswood can you count on the back?

where and why would they use mdf?

the only way that i could see them fitting mdf in there, without it being visible (in pickup/ neck/ control cavity routes etc), would be to hollow out part of the basswood beore they glued it, fill the hole with MDF, then glue...

And why the hell would they bother

Basswood's cheap anyway, surely they wouldnt go to all that effort to hide mdf in there, whilst gaining so little and risking it damaging their reputation (well i suppose its not like they have a particularly amazing one anyway :D, but i hope you get my point) etc

• 3 weeks later...

That looks pretty good. I like they way that it's come out.

I'm not sure whether it's the 'done thing' anymore, but I spose you could submit it for the gallery in gallery 3 (for kit guitars), considering there's only 2 there and this one's better than average.

Either way, well done!

That's come out beautifully, very nice work. I have to admit I'm really surprised (in a pleased way!) that such a good looking guitar is possible with a Saga kit. There's a lot of people that just seem to buy the kits and break them up for parts to sell individually on ebay at a small markup. That LP looks very nice indeed.

• 1 month later...

At long last, I've got some sound clips of my Saga Les Paul.

Personally I think the stock pups are at least acceptible. :D

Neck Pickup Clean

Bridge Pickup Clean

Both Pickups Clean

The following clips are through my DigiTech RP250 processor.

Dirty

Mucho Reverb

Floyd with Reverb

Jazzy Chorus