Rhythm Guitar

sexybeast

I have experienced several failed attempts at learning to play guitar, each resulting in a few year layoff in frustration. I can't play lead. I can't shred. But then one day a buddy of mine came over and just started chugging away at some cool rhythms and it was like the heavens opened up on me.

Since then I've made more progress in three months than I had previosly made in years. I've fooled around with chords, scales, attempts at shredding and stuff, but it all ended in frustration. Now, for some reason the guitar makes sense to me. Rhythm guitar. Look at Malcolm Young, he rules and the guy never takes a lead break.

Tunes and progressions are just spilling out of me now from just one short bit of inspiration. I'm glad I didn't give up again.

Just a bit of inspiration for anyone frustrated with their progress. I kept a guitar in hand for ten years, more or less and never got much better until now. Do it because you love it and don't worry about the rest, it'll come.

I only play guitar for fun (bass is my main instrument), so I just play stuff thats not lead related. I mostly play Tool stuff, and their music is plenty challenging without real "solos" or shredding. The timing is what gets you, not technical ability.

Learning to play guitar is a lot like learning to ride a bicycle. You're not going to ride the Tour de France immediately, if ever. Start at the beginning, learn the fretboard (and to read music), practice, practice, practice. Carnegie Hall will be there when you're ready.

How's that for a mixed metaphor?

Heh, I'm going the opposite direction...trying to break out of rhythm playing to take the lead. Not really talking about solos though --I'm happy enough to leave that to the other guy. But more like the guitar that pushes the song along, handles the main riff and all. My favorite solos are all about two or three notes and last for four measures, tops.

Anyway, I just had a little epiphany of my own, of sorts, I think. My teacher has me working on modes these days...and I suddenly realized what works really well for me is hanging out on the pentatonic scale for the most part, then just adding notes from whatever mode I'm using to spice it up...just another way of looking at things. It's also changed my rhythm playing a lot --all of sudden I'm not limited to chords anymore, because now I can 'see' all the notes available around the chords. Well, I'm starting to...still got a road to travel there.

One thing I find that really helps for learning the guitar: put down your tools. When I'm building a guitar, I get so obsessed about it that I end up forgetting to play the damn thing.

I had a couple of different teachers at the same time.

each teacher has a different aproch I think.

then I stoped going and that is when I learned the most about playing.

I started my own band then all the teachers stuff made sence to me.

I like being the lead and the other guy's follow me.

sometimes it just take a little thing to put things in a different light and everything is clear.

for me it was when a friend past away and he always would ask me why don't you play in a band. that is whan I strated my own and it has been a great time good and bad.

keep playing no matter what.

I, like many of you, have had times of on-again off-again playing. I have tried to teach myself, use computer programs, and instructors. I have finally found an instructor that teaches the way I learn and what I want to learn. The problem I have found with most instructors is they think because they can play something, they can teach it. Not true.

Bottom line is do what works best for you. Have fun. Allow yourself to excell in what your good at and not what an instructor or book thinks you should be good at.

Looking back on my band days, my biggest regret is spending too much time on soloing and not enough time exploring "rhythm" guitar. Songwriting is more important than playing a good lead, and a knowledgeable rhythm guitarist can add a lot of interest to the body of a song. My advice is spend more time learning chord progressions and the theory behind them.