To Refinish, Or Not To Refinish?

prauny

Ok, i wanted a natural finish, or at least a transparent coloured finish when i went to the shop. But all they had was solid colours. OK, i thought. I'll just look for a colour i like and go for that. Then i fell in love with this...

lpc2.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h185/praunball/lpc3.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h185/praunball/lpc1.jpg

So i thought, somebody who only has a very small budget cant really afford to be fussy. So i bought it. And im glad i did, as its a great guitar.

Then the niggling started..... i still wanted the natural finish.... shall i refinish the top on it?.... NO!!! THAT WOULD BE SILLY!!!

But why not?

Try and give me some pro's and cons to me repraying the top on it...

I am not sure how cheap the guitar actually is but many of the cheaper guitars are actually made of plywood and that (at least in my opinion) is not good to look at. The one I am currently refinishing is and any little bump shows the next layer of wood, the top wood is also just not great looking.

Im pretty sure that its a hardwood body. The specs on the website say that this ( the custom copy) is made from harder wood than the other (the standard copy). So it'll probably be alder or some other lighter hardwood judging by the wood i can see in the pickup and control routes. Its diffinatly not ply.

I wouldn't mess with any bound body unless it really needed finish repair. I had a "Grauer" LP copy that looked very much like that one (black w/ white binding) and in similar condition. Why mess with it? Just my take on it.

Going for a natural wood finish on that guitar would be folly. Why? because when you've stripped it down you will find its either made of various blocks of wood glued together or simple plywood. If you want a good idea of what its made of take the pickups out and/or remove the control plate and have a look at the sides of the cavities. :D

OK, you're sure its not ply, but a solid 1 or even 2 piece is still hard to determine without messing it up.

Edited by Southpa

ok, its not ply, i can see real wood in all the cavities. Also, how do you know how much finishing experience ive had? Your coming across a bit condisending dude. I know how to refinish a guitar, all i wanted was some reason why i should and should'nt do it.

And i didnt buy it with the intent of refinishing it, i bought it and then started to wonder if i should.

And once again, its not ply.

im not sure i made myself clear there before. Just to clear things up, its NOT ply.

Damn, i came on here for a bit of friendly chat and i get treated like a kid who knows nothing and has no experience. Whats up with that!?

Edited by prauny

Damn, i came on here for a bit of friendly chat and i get treated like a kid who knows nothing and has no experience. Whats up with that!?

Because unfortunately that's the way things often work around here. Most of the posts like yours are in fact from kids with no experience and know nothing. Perhaps you should provide some clue to your skill level in the original post so your question doesn't come off as a newbie question. Take those responses with a grain of salt or you won't hang around here long. (There is a lot of useful information in there too.) Still, expecting responses in ten minutes is just ridiculous. And most of the responses were useful and not condescending at all.

BTW, since you asked for opinions, I will also offer my opinion that I also think you should leave it the way it is. It is pretty rare that you can strip down a solid-color body and find wood worthy of looking good with a natural finish. The chip could be repaired. Go to an auto parts store and get some touch up paint.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do with it.

Cheers ryanb, i was directing my frustration at drak really. He assumed that i know nothing. If I had actually said i know nothing then i would have understood, but i didnt. I asked if people thought i should refinish the guitar of not. And i in no uncertain terms said that the guitar is not made of ply. Which he chose to turn a blind eye to, and make me look stupid for buying a plywood guitar. Im not stupid, and i know to avoid guitars made of ply.

Anyway........... (breath......... ) Thankyou for your input dude, Its appreciated.

Oh, and by the way.

I will be just filling in the chip now. I was always under the misconception that a chip in a poly finish could not be repaired with a spot fill like you can do on lacquer. Its made my day to find out i can fill it.

Im making a les paul as we speak anyway, so i'll be doing a natural finish on that when its ready. It will be mine.... OH YES!, it WILL be mine...

Edited by prauny