Is This Not Sick?

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=281148

its the 8th or so pic down;

it the fingerboard turning into the headstock plate boggles my mind; if its 2 pieces so be it; but it dont look like it to me!

also, ive decided my next body i glue up will be redwood, i always considered it no good for a 'body' wood (excluding tops) but it looks so good , if it turns out bad, i'll make it into a clock; lol

Definitely 2 pieces, you can see that he's carefully aligned the dark line in the centre for the best match, but the other lines don't match up perfectly. It's not tough to do, assuming you can get a long enough blank to cut a headplate and fretboard with matched grain, and it does look very slick.

IIRC Budman used to be a fairly regular poster here, and posted a very cool semi-hollow first guitar. Looks like he's gone ot the dark side :D

I used a curly redwood top on my last build and the wood is very very soft. Its best to finish it with something hard like poly(it will soak up poly like a sponge). I cant imagine it being very good for a bolt on neck. It is easy to work and looks awesome.

iv ebeen staring at this pic, and, it looks like the grain that dosent match up is from carving into the wood; like bookmatching, then taking off too much and losing the carbon copy;

id almost say he slapped a piece fingerboard thick across the whole length the sliced out the drop in the headstock; and if not im gonna!

I used a curly redwood top on my last build and the wood is very very soft. Its best to finish it with something hard like poly(it will soak up poly like a sponge). I cant imagine it being very good for a bolt on neck. It is easy to work and looks awesome.

its good practise to use hard film finishes on 'spongy' woods, but isnt always nesescarry ;as far as a bolt on;

id do the same thing i do with swamp ash;route a deeper square in the neck pocket(not visible to outside) a few mm inside the perimeter of the pocket, and inlay something hard like rosewood or ebony, which is like a hidden neck screw plate, i know ash is denser, but the same theory could be relevant, maybe a lil thicker of support