How To Age Parts

Put them on a guitar, then play that guitar for some years..voila!

...Saw that coming. Bleach makes things rust/look old, just make sure you don't leave the parts in there too long. Also I've heard brushing olive oild and salt on metal parts will make them pit and look old.

Put them on a guitar, then play that guitar for some years..voila!

...Saw that coming. Bleach makes things rust/look old, just make sure you don't leave the parts in there too long. Also I've heard brushing olive oild and salt on metal parts will make them pit and look old.

ive never heard of the olive oil trick but i know salt water will work

but my thinking is the olive oil would give you a little more control

and im sure Perry has the answer remember W.O.M.D

Ferrous chloride used for etching metal and stuff. WOrks great. Put it on a cotton stick, rub your chrome or other metal and it will get dull instantly. Leave a couple of drops of the stuff on your metal parts for an hour or so, whipe it off with a cloth and keep it like that a day and it will be VERY rusty. WHen you're done, clean the metal parts good with water and let it dry. This has worked for me perfectly.

I made me a blacky type relic strat, and I reliced a friends brand new surf green rockinger strat. He wanted a VERY rusty look hehehe, look at the pics:

My blacky style strat (note: this 60's pickguard is just for the mockup. I still had to order a 1 ply 50's pickguard :D :

00.jpg

pic 2

my friends strat:

pic 3

pic 4

pic 5

pic 6

pic 7

pic 8

By the way, the tuners and tremolo look beaten up and not usable, but they work as new. It's just the outside that looks like crap :D

Wow,, this is a cool looking guitar. How did you do the neck?

• 1 month later...

first mark the spots you want to be dark... then use sandpaper to roughly take away the finish, then go up to grit 600 to make it nice and smooth... use steelwool for a dull finish. Use any black crap you have to make the maple dark hehehe... I used burned pieces of wood and after that a bit of brown shoepolish.

To make it realistic you have to think at what spots the finish would worn off. Well that is between the strings and not directly under it. That's why you can see like lines parallel to the strings that aren't worn off.

Hope that helps :D

003.jpg

pic 2

pic 3

Looks very cool! Did you sand down the whole neck?

And what about the body ... nitro finish?

/megl

The only thing that I'd say looks too obviously "attacked" rather than naturally worn is the area along the butt...along where the rear strap button is. Generally guitars get damage from dropping, clonking & wear & tear such as the edges below the jack socket, belly cut, forearm contour...rings might damage the lower cutaway, but that area.... it would actually be quite difficult to damage that area because it would be protected from dropping by the strap button & there's usually no need to touch that area.

Just my observation.

How do you age a pickguard? I have a Saga telecaster that I put together that I painted red with Natural wood spikes coming up from the bottom which looks cool except that the pickguard is typical saga and looks overly sterile. I was wondering if there was a way to give it an aged look to better compliment the spikes. As an afterthought I should have just left it off and filled the holes.

+1 for the feric cloride, I spilled a little on my table saw one time while etching a pc board and it almost instantly started rusting the top which is just bare steel.

Here are some links to original old strats:

(links removed)

Okay... this may be offtopic but...

"wow."

After viewing that one guy's strat body auction on eBay I HAD to go check out his entire site. Firstly, he gets his mitts on some jaw-droppingly amazing strats! Secondly... "what a curt, self-righteous, pompous ass." The only thing that overshadowed the awesomeness of his items was the condescending tone of his "my opinion is law" writing. I'd liken him to a used-car dealer or a midway barker but he's WAY past those stereotypes.

That guy has the all the social grace of a tornado full of rabid dogs.

And the fact that he presents himself and his wares as the be-all-end-all of the Stratocaster Universe is offset by the fact that HE WRITES HIS ALLCAPS DESCRIPTIONS with more "typos" than a bloodbank. The best thing that he could do would be to pay someone to re-write his item descriptions to fix his spellig, punctuatio!n and personality. Not that he needs it of course; obviously he's making enough money to wipe his backside with but I can't be the only person who feels that any guitar that passed through this man's hands would be somehow "dirty." ::shudders::

Again... I realize this isn't on topic for the thread exactly, but after linking thru to that auction & the resulting site from this thread, I just had to say something lest I explode. I can't believe there are people like this out there not just surviving but THRIVING in this world.

And now, completely ON-TOPIC:

Since I haven't commented on this thread, I just want to say that your aged fenders are "Freakin' Sweet" Alex! I never thought of doing something like that but the result is unbelievably cool. I'll bet it's a LOT of fun distressing an instrument like that, huh? I'm working on my Ibanez mod right now and can't help but wonder how a modern-styled guitar would look carefully distressed to appear as though it had been around since the late 50's

Nice topic and thx VDL for all the good responses.

I've got few questions about relicing.

1. How do you do back of the necks? I'm guessing it's similar to the fretboard worn marks.

2. Any hints or tips about cracking the finish? And getting that "tanned" effect? I've heard that shooting compressed air to cured poly finishes (light coat) will give that crack effect? Or leaving it out in the sun for days and days? But it seems there are tons more, and more effective methods out there, which most of them are very well kept trade secret.. :D