A Theoretical Question.

I guess the good old and dense wood is getting harder to find?

As is craftsmanship or quality control worth anything.

Well, this will be a seven string so I don't know if the low b is just going to flop around if I went for 24.75. I also down tune which only makes it worse.

The simple solution for loose strings is to get a heavier gauge.

Most people that use 9's on a strat would feel more comfortable with 10's on a Les Paul, I actually use 9's on a strat & 10's on my homebrew with the same scale but 3-a-side head because it feels much looser. Heavier strings will have more punch & better sustain due to the increased tension. Perhaps you could get closer to the LP sound simply by using heavier strings? I find that a drop of more than a semi-tone benefits from an increase in gauge.

Well, this will be a seven string so I don't know if the low b is just going to flop around if I went for 24.75. I also down tune which only makes it worse.

So basically you want a 7 string baritone RG/LP? :D

I want an RG with a smoother, richer sound, often attributed to the Les Paul. I want a lot of sustain, it will be a neck through and a hardtail so I suspect sustain won't be in short supply. It was probably a mistake saying I wanted it to sound EXACTLY like a Les Paul. I don't. I just want it to sound um.. thicker? I just want a warmer tone than the standard Basswood has.