Laminated Neck Woods

i plan on making a laminated though neck using 3/4" maple for the outsides, however i am having trouble deciding which wood to use in the middle. i have limited it down to cherry or walnut.

so my plan is as follows:

through neck made of 3/4" maple, 3/4" *not sure*, 3/4" maple

body made of two pieces of mahogany, possibly with a veneer.

any suggestions?

HUGE suggestion, if your center stripe is ONE piece of wood that's that thick, when you get up hear the nut, it's going to start looking really strange. What I would do, is do 3/4" maple, 1/4" walnut, 1/4" cherry, 1/4" walnut, 3/4" maple.

Chris

ideally i would do something like that but the only supplier i can find online is www.rockler.com and they only offer as small as 1/2"

are there any other legit websites out there for this kind of supply?

HUGE suggestion, if your center stripe is ONE piece of wood that's that thick, when you get up hear the nut, it's going to start looking really strange. What I would do, is do 3/4" maple, 1/4" walnut, 1/4" cherry, 1/4" walnut, 3/4" maple.

Chris

ideally i would do something like that but the only supplier i can find online is www.rockler.com and they only offer as small as 1/2"

lol just buy the 1/2" piece then rip it

Chris

i would, but it would be cheaper to find 1/4" pieces since i dont want to spend an insane amount on the overall project

Chris

i would, but it would be cheaper to find 1/4" pieces since i dont want to spend an insane amount on the overall project

You could try Gilmer. Gilmer. As far as the thickness if the center section. Ti is really more about the look, and what appeals to you. As long as you keep it in the 3/4" range the sides at the nut will look fine. A solid 3/4" section can be quite bold if it is a high contrast wood. If it was a similar wood(possibly figured) or a wood that had a subtle color difference it could look a little less "bulky". Honestly it's your thang. I am sure Gilmer could offer get you the a better variety of thicknesses, as well as just about any wood you want (Mahogany wings etc...).

Peace,Rich

P.S.PS:

If you're making a laminate neck and understand the concept of counteracting grain forces when glueing up,
:D Edited by fryovanni

What was that about Rich? You know what I'm talking about: if you're using riftsawn wood, then pit the angles against each other to counteract forces, ie: make a V with the endgrain instead of having them go the same direction like this: / /

Chris

I am screwing with you :D . You responded faster than I thought :D