Saga Project

Bugs

Building My Own Guitar

(click photos to enlarge)

I've been wanting a new electric guitar for some time now, but never seemed to have the cash for one. So I went on an internet search for a cheap guitar kit to see what I could find. I found on ebay, a guitar kit made by Saga, sold by Slashman Music http://Slashmanmusic.com . I got the Telecaster version for $95.00 bucks, shipping included.

th_Guitar002.jpg

Everything needed to start and finish this guitar project is right here in one package. I read a lot of good things about this kit; some bad things also. But the pros, I decided, out weighed the bad and I took a chance. The chance taken is that you could get a kit that is ill prepped for assembly. (I.e. the holes may not line up and parts might not fit so well in their designated positions) So far as I can tell, I've got a good one.

The neck looks straight, and the fret bars are even and uniform.

th_Guitar001.jpg

The neck also fits good and tight into the pocket where it bolts up to the body.

But even so, keep in mind that a project is a project and you deal with what you have to do, no matter what it is. Regardless of what you may think of kits for anything, you will still only get out what you put into it. This is my first guitar project ever, and I think is a good place to start. There are lessons to be learned in everything, if your paying attention.

The first thing I done was mark out the head stock for shaping.

th_Guitar003-1.jpg

Saga provids a lot of room in their kits to get creative with. You can make a Telecaster design, or you can choose to make your own-which is what I did. To me it looks like a cross between a Strat and a Tele...kinda sorta. But that's not what I was trying to do.

th_head17.jpg

th_head11.jpg

th_head12.jpg

th_head1.jpg

th_head13.jpg

End of Part 1

Welcome to the insanity! I think a kit is the best way to introduce yourself to guitar building, unless you have worked on many repairs and upgrades previously. This way you learn the build process and some of the whats and why fors but still have a base to work from to keep you in the right direction. Keep it up, have you thought about a finish? Keeping it natural or will you paint?

Godin tells no lies...addictive.

I decided that I would paint my guitar Pearl White, using acrylic lacquer made by Duplicolor. Duplicolor is and automotive touch up paint in a spray can. I like this paint; it comes with a fan spray tip, lays down well, dries fast and is very durable.

th_paint.jpg

Here you see a drip where I got too close with my spray. It was hardly noticeable when the paint dried, but still, it had to be sanded and rubbed out.

th_drip.jpg

Wet sanding with 600 grit. (Yellow tinted pictures due to poor lighting or dying batteries)

th_600grit.jpg

Sanding with ultra fine steel wool. Then off to the garage to start the whole process over, two or three more times as needed, then clear coat.

I hear ya about the addiction-I'm already thinking about my next one!

th_steelwool.jpg