Hi-o!

:D this is my first post and i'd like to say hi and that i'm starting a "p-guitar" soon. it's a 1 peice mahogany p-bass body w/ only the control cavity, the neck pocket (the problem) and a p-bass pickup routed. i'm going to try and convert it into a guitar. the only problem is the neck pocket the dimensions are not the same as they are on they guitar. what would i need to do to fix this. what is the best plan of action. i can list some not-so-concrete specs if you want.

thanks

-marc

Edited by p-guitar

I would get piece of mahogany and fill up the neck pocket up with it, and then re rout to the new neck demensions.

I dont think it would be the smartest to use a bass body for a guitar. A basses bridge is placed to far back for a guitar.

thanks for the suggestion and the bass bridge isn't routed yet

A basses bridge is placed to far back for a guitar.

Is this just a visual thing? Are we such a basically conservative lot that the generally accepted proportions of the established and famous instruments have set our blinkers for what is now deemed acceptable?

Or is there a reasonable explanation based on balance, transmission of vibration, etc. that would segregate the more radical designs due to bad tonal qualities?

I guess this post sounds a little confrontational, it's not meant to be, its a genuinely interested (maybe naive) question that I think has to be asked at regular intervals.

eg: Tyler headstock: Euggh! Does the job but looks awful. design, aeshetics and balance of proportion are important, but maybe not from a tonal quality, maybe just a visual one.

A basses bridge is placed to far back for a guitar.

Is this just a visual thing? Are we such a basically conservative lot that the generally accepted proportions of the established and famous instruments have set our blinkers for what is now deemed acceptable?

Or is there a reasonable explanation based on balance, transmission of vibration, etc. that would segregate the more radical designs due to bad tonal qualities?

I guess this post sounds a little confrontational, it's not meant to be, its a genuinely interested (maybe naive) question that I think has to be asked at regular intervals.

eg: Tyler headstock: Euggh! Does the job but looks awful. design, aeshetics and balance of proportion are important, but maybe not from a tonal quality, maybe just a visual one.

I'm sure he's referring to the scale length.

Scale length = distance from nut of the neck to the saddles on the bridge.

The further from the neck pocket your bridge is (if it was already mounted), the further into the body you have to mount the neck.

If it's too far into the body you won't have good fret access or weight balance.

Maybe he could use a baritone neck and alter the body for a little deeper cut-away to keep a better body to neck weight balance and still keep fret access. :D

I've found guitars can get uncomfortable during a long set if there's not a good weight balance or of course too heavy over all.

+1 on the Tyler headstocks, hehe

screw it i'll just soup up my strat. apparently it's "not worth my trouble".

even though NOTHING IS ROUTED! read my first post. the bass neck pocket, the p-bass pickup and the control cavitie's are routed. the scale length is not an issue! my God people i hate to sound mean but READ!.

Edited by p-guitar

even though NOTHING IS ROUTED! read my first post. the bass neck pocket, the p-bass pickup and the control cavitie's are routed. the scale length is not an issue! my God people i hate to sound mean but READ!.

I read it. If the neck pocket has been routed, you'll need to find a neck to fit perfectly, which might not be easy considering on how wide a bass neck can get toward the heel. The fact that the pickup has already been routed might get in the way, since, as people have been pointing out, scale is an issue --those pickups might just be routed exactly where the guitar bridge should be.

Balance is another issue--since the guitar neck is shorter, the upper horn may end up too far forward, pushing the guitar backward toward you as you play --it might make it difficult to get at the upper frets because of this. On the last guitar I built, I kept bruising the muscles in my side because of this very issue. There's a way around it, which might work, that is, shifting the strap pin behind the heel of the neck. Which probably won't introduce neck-heavy issues, but you never know.

Everything's worth trying, but if you want to play around with designs, you have to accept the fact that a lot of the work you'll be doing is just prototyping --in other words, the first time around, you'll be identifying all of the issues with the design.

Depending on who you are, either that's part of the fun or that's a waste of your time, effort and money. (I'm on the fun side)

I read your first post. You could try to fill the neck pocket and re-route for your new neck(and yes that would be a pain, but do-able). If you use a pickgaurd ALA strat and route the pickup area it should work. So nothing that can't be done. It is just a hunk of wood.

Honestly the big question is what do you really want. It is a bad idea to just try to fix something right out the shoot just so you can try to make something kinda work. If you just want to screw around with it for the sake of the experiment. That is fine.

Personally I would say it not worth my time to do something like that, but it may suit your needs(don't know your motivation).

Peace,Rich