Epoxy?

daveq

I just read Brian's tutorial on inlays (awesome). He mentioned that he used epoxy to hold the inlay in. When doing dots, I know it's common to use CA glue but can you also use it for larger inlays (figures like birds, clouds, ...) or do I need epoxy? I never really liked working with CA glue so maybe I should look into epoxy.

If I pick any old epoxy, will it be OK? Do I need a certain type?

One more question - I've read the tutorials on inlay and am wondering about one of them. There's one tutorial (lengthy) that talks about having to deal with seasonal expansion/contraction of the wood. With dots, that doesn't seem to be an issue. Is this only a concern for larger inlays? Is that why they say to angle the cutting of the edges instead of cutting at a 90 deg angle?

Pretty much any epoxy will work from what I've been told so far. The undercut helps to hold a larger amount of adhesive which is hidden. It also should help eliminate expansion/contraction problems since the Epoxy or glue wouldn't have a straight up and down eadge to break off of and slide up and down (especially true on more naturally oily woods such as Ebony)