Modern Strat Wiring Question

stratman61

I just bought a calibrated set of Guitar Fetish lipsticks for my 96' American Standard. I originally set them up using what would be considered a pretty standard strat set up, 250k audio tapers and a .022uf cap on the neck and middle. I was a bit underwhelmed with the sound that I was getting from the bridge pup, and also the overall volume taper (it only seemed to work from 10-8, below 8, nada). After doing some research into the matter, I think that because of the higher values of the middle and bridge pups (the calibrated set is 4.9/6.0/.8.0), that perhaps I needed to go with pots of somewhat higher value. Here is what I am considering changing to:

300K Volume and middle tone pots, 250K neck pot, .047uf in the neck, .022 in the middle, (nothing on the bridge?), a .001uf with a 150k resistor on the volume for a treble bleed, all cloth wiriing.

Anybody have an opinion on this set up? I am a complete novice (and hopefully not a complete idiot!) and I would appreciate any feedback that you may want to offer. thanks a ton! stratman.

the calibrated set is 4.9/6.0/.8.0

Those values don't seem to bad to me. If anything the bridge should be a little to loud compared to the others (asuming the 8Kohm pickup is in the bridge...I should hope it is!)

300K Volume and middle tone pots, 250K neck pot

Increasing the value of the Volume pots will very very slightly increase the overal output of your pickups. The most noticeable differance will be that they're slightly 'treble-y-er'

.047uf in the neck, .022 in the middle, (nothing on the bridge?), a .001uf with a 150k resistor on the volume for a treble bleed

tone caps are purely to taste and only affect the sound if you actually use your tone control! The treble bleed again is purely for personal taste (IMHO).

all cloth wiriing.

This is completely unnecessary, if you've got a sheilded pickup cavity just use some normal plastic insulated wire. If not then I personally would use wire with sheilding on it so you don't have to spend hours sheilding your control cavity (though you have to be careful not to create ground loops)

300K Volume and middle tone pots, 250K neck pot, .047uf in the neck, .022 in the middle, (nothing on the bridge?), a .001uf with a 150k resistor on the volume for a treble bleed, all cloth wiriing.

That all sounds good, except that using 20% tolerance pots (the"standard"), the 300K pots could easily be lower resistance than the 250Ks. I'd try switching the volume to a 500K and leaving the rest alone (but thats just me...). The tone caps are a personal choice, as Robert mentioned, and the treble bleed will probably work nicely with the lipsticks. Give 'er a shot, and let us know how it works out! :D