Truss Rod

unless where you live has the same temperature and humity all of the year round (which i doubt) then you should really have one so that you can adjust the neck throughout all of these changes.

:D

I have been following this discussion as well.

Can you start without the truss rod and, let's say 1 year later, you decide that you need one. In other words, can it be installed after the fact. I am thinking about the Fender style where the neck is open (routed) from the back and a whole is drilled from the headstock?

Thanks,

Norm

Yes it could be done, but how good of a job you can do at it is dependant on your skill level. First off, the neck will already be contoured on both sides. That means that when you get ready to route the channel the fretboard won't set on a flat surface because it will tend to rock some either way. You will need to place it on something that will balance it out. You'll also have to take 2 strips of wood and place them on each side of the neck that will serve as a flat surface for the router base. Otherwise, the router won't cut straight. You'll need to also cut the 2 strips of wood so the neck will be routed for the style of rod you pick to use, which can mean that it needs to route deeper on each ends and shallower in the middle.

Good Luck

Matt

Thanks for the response Matt.

I just glued the fretboard to the neck this week-end. I spent a long time thinking about the truss rod but in the end, I made a decision to skip it. The piece of wood I used for the neck is very old and it is extremely rigid. The neck will be used on a headless bass I am building. My skill level is fairly high although I have little experience with the neck. I know it sounds like a contradiction but I am quite confident I could do the work if the neck starts to bend or warp under pressures from the strings.

I just wanted to confirm that was not a totally stupid assumption of my part.

I feel a bit better now :D

Norm