Binding

I need enough binding for 4 necks.

I was going to make it myself but I'm not sure on what would be the best method to make it and after having thought about it for a while, I realized that it may take up a lot of time.

Would I be better off buying it? If so, where can I get a good source of wood binding at a reasonable price? If go go with stew mac, that'll set me back $11.00 per neck.

Don't wanna make your own?! I'm SO stoked about the possibility of doing jsut that when I get my bandsaw and thickness sander! Hell, if you only need it in fretboard lengths, and not the full body binding super long lengths, then you can merely trim the edges of the wide fretboard blanks before you slot them, or tops are usually long enough to cut edges off and make binding, and thus same goes for bodies, there are SO many possibilities to use SO much scrap that guitar building makes to make your own binding.

Chris

Don't wanna make your own?! I'm SO stoked about the possibility of doing jsut that when I get my bandsaw and thickness sander! Hell, if you only need it in fretboard lengths, and not the full body binding super long lengths, then you can merely trim the edges of the wide fretboard blanks before you slot them, or tops are usually long enough to cut edges off and make binding, and thus same goes for bodies, there are SO many possibilities to use SO much scrap that guitar building makes to make your own binding.

Chris

I don't have a thickness sander but have a really nice bandsaw. What would be the cheapest thickness sander on the market? Any other alternatives to a thickness sander?

Yes, there's that sanding system called "luthier's friend" for sale. They're not very cheap and are small, but still large enough to obviously do binding. I have one, and it seems to work fine. I forsee it being hard to know EXACTLY how thick you're going, so you'd have to do a pass, measure, do another small pass, measure, etc. until you got it.

PS: If you DO buy a thickness sander, make SURE it goes thin enough, none of the grizzlys do for binding. I've found the Performax ones all do, however I wouldn't buy one from them below the 16/32 model, cause I've heard alot of bad about the tracking on the 10/20 model.

Chris