Painting A Guitar

Grimzors

Hi guys, i would like to know what i need to use in order to paint the guitar i am going to be building, i would like to paint it white, maybe with a black outline, or not doesnt matter really, but i would like to know the tips or techniques for painting it white, and giving it a glossy finish, or matte finish, im not suer which one i want more hehe.

Patience. People would be able to help you a little more if you gave us some more info like what kind of paint are you using, etc. If you are just spraying it all white then it should be pretty simple. You'll need to do a few white base coats then add several clear coats.

And there is plenty on this forum that should help you, along with that reranch link, so you might need to do some searching if we aren't able to help you. :D

Patience. People would be able to help you a little more if you gave us some more info like what kind of paint are you using, etc. If you are just spraying it all white then it should be pretty simple. You'll need to do a few white base coats then add several clear coats.

And there is plenty on this forum that should help you, along with that reranch link, so you might need to do some searching if we aren't able to help you. :D

Hmm thanks :D, umm actually i thought to paint the headstock alone i could use model car paint with a air brush gun i have, would that work for the headstock alone? i plan on doing a matte finish/no gloss, im not a big fan of fingerprints all over my guitar, the only thing i have on planning glossy is a red circle with a cutout of a medic cross in the middle, on the truss rod cover.

Air brush work would be ok for the headstock, but it depends on the kind of paint you use. I don't know much about model car paint, but if it is enamel, that is generally not used for guitars. Try to find some kind of lacquer....some brands have a matte spray can you could use to make it all white, then you could airbrush your design on.

Don't use enamel (cars model paint) on you guitar or you going to have some "crackel paint" effect! In !white urethane is ok, acrilic it's hard to find because the ambiental laws restrictions, use nason base color then nason clear coats, 4 clear coats minimum, each coat between 6 hours if you have a "hot spot" to dry, or one coat daily if you don't have it. Don't paint in windy conditions or you going to have a "galaxy" of black dirt points in the white finish. Don't paint it vertical if you don't have experience with a paint gun or the finish it will run, attach a long wood stick 3 feet X 2 1/2" X 1/2" in the neck pocket rout hold with 2 screws and hold it diagonal, more horizontal than vertical, start with the edges and then the front and back and put it in horizontal position hold in a way Im shure you goin to figure out and let it dry. Any cuestion you can write me to my web page Guitarzonepr.com and get a ride inside my custom shop. Good luck and have fun!

Mike Navarro / Guitar Zone Custom Shop