Two New Projects For The Comming Summer

Hi everyone!

I've got two new builds planned for the comming summer (a while off I know) but I'd thought I'd show and tell what I'm planning and get some feedback incase I've made any stupid mistakes!

first up I'm building a 12 string electric:

12string2he0.jpg

Mahogany flat top body with excessive amounts of binding. 12 string TOM and stop tail. Purple heart neck with Ebony fretboard (more binding!), Abalone inlays (well ablam but they look ok). Rickenbacker style 12 string headstock. five way switch blah blah blah :D think you all can see what's going on there!

second build will be this pointy thing yeah I know its a BC rich body shape but I've made a few alterations (bringing in the front horns mainly) Basswood body, probably purple heart neck and ebony fretboard again. Binding on the bevels (only thin bwb though). Single humbucker with volume and a DPDT on/off/on wired to give single coil/full hucker/kill switch operation. finnish is going to be matt. not sure if I want a black or chrome volume knob yet ( :D ).

so yeah any opinions are welcome

Edited by Robert_the_damned

not a big fan of pointy things but the 12-string SG jobby looks sweet. I'm intrigued by those two-together P90's at the bridge.

Some more work on the headstock profile would be good. With a pretty thin sg-like body the headstock may easily be so bulky with the 12 tuners that the guitar becomes unbalanced. Good luck with it. I hope you plan to stain the Hogny body a deep wine-red colour ':D

that's a couple of nice looking projects...good luck with them.

thanks B)

not a big fan of pointy things but the 12-string SG jobby looks sweet. I'm intrigued by those two-together P90's at the bridge.

:D ah you mean the P90 humbucker? B) I thought it might sound intresting so I'm giving it a try!

Some more work on the headstock profile would be good. With a pretty thin sg-like body the headstock may easily be so bulky with the 12 tuners that the guitar becomes unbalanced.

The body is going to be more like a flat top version of a les paul in cross section so hopefully it will be heavy enough to ballance out the tuners (I'm using kluson style tuners anyway which are pretty much the lightest all metal tuners you can get). I know its going to be a heavy guitar but I quite like heavy guitars.

Good luck with it. I hope you plan to stain the Hogny body a deep wine-red colour ':D

:D no it must be black! hehe B) I'll think about doing a stain but I do like my solid finnishes

I'd also be worried about balance.... You said mahog body and purple heart neck... That alone in many conventional designs could lead to neck dive... You could add tuners made of helium and still have issues.....

All I'm saying is, plan on adding birdshot in the body or some other large weight, and it'll be okay.... be heavy, but okay.

What about adding carbon fiber in the neck --that'll help reduce the weight, but keep it strong....

I'm a little skeptical about the double P90s...I'd be worried that you'd lose a lot of character in the sound--you might end up with a muddy mess. Especially with 12 strings.

Not that I'm against experimenting--I'd try it out in a beater guitar first before committing yourself to a full build.

But...I saw a pic of John Mayall holding a wild looking guitar--looks like he has four pickups in there...similar idea to yours...made me wonder why you're leaving that space between the P90s and the humbucker --why not just slap 4 P90s in there? That would look really ballsy.

Swedish Luthier makes his own --he could custom-wind a set for you...

I'd also be worried about balance.... You said mahog body and purple heart neck... That alone in many conventional designs could lead to neck dive...

I'll keep that in mind. The body will be full LP thickness (as in the thickness at the edge) and is actually larger than a les paul style body.

You could add tuners made of helium and still have issues.....

:D I don't think tuners held together with van der waal's interactions would last very long!

P-90 bucker... let us know how it sounds. Or better yet, record the bizzniatch.

:D once I'm done making it I most certainly will post sound clips!

What about adding carbon fiber in the neck --that'll help reduce the weight, but keep it strong....

I was thinking of doing that. Seeing as its a 12 string it might be a good idea anyway for extra strength.

I'm a little skeptical about the double P90s...I'd be worried that you'd lose a lot of character in the sound--you might end up with a muddy mess. Especially with 12 strings.

I was thinking it might get a bit muddy but I've bought some quite high output P90's so they should be ok....its only one of the options on my 5 way so I wont be to devistated if it doesn't work out....I can always re-wire it to them being in parrallel rather than in series as that should be another intresting sound.

Not that I'm against experimenting--I'd try it out in a beater guitar first before committing yourself to a full build.

I was thinking I might try and stick them in my 'cr@postrat' just to check it'll work if there's clearance under the strings (don't want to have to do any routing)

But...I saw a pic of John Mayall holding a wild looking guitar--looks like he has four pickups in there...similar idea to yours...made me wonder why you're leaving that space between the P90s and the humbucker --why not just slap 4 P90s in there? That would look really ballsy.

B) really darn expensive too! B) I kinda like the 'unballanced' look of the pickups to be honnest but I guess that's down to personal taste.

Swedish Luthier makes his own --he could custom-wind a set for you...

might have to look into that for future projects or just for some winding tips!

sweet projects man, I have two I plan on fixing up too.