Rust Stains In Wood

AC50

Hi guys. First post here.

I've got a problem with a couple of guitars, particularly a blonde 1937 Epiphone Deluxe. The problem is that the steel pickguard screws have rusted down into the wood, and the rust stain has spread into the grain of the wood, creating an ugly blemish. Does anyone here know of anything which will fade or bleach that rust stain?

Edited by AC50

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/epiphon2.html#deluxe

Not alot you can do without reducing the collectibility value of the guitar. Although not in mint condition your guitar is still worth more "as is" than altered in any way. This kind of finish problem is right inside the wood (seeped between the plys maybe?) and/or under the existing finish.

Even tho the damage is already done there might be something you could do to slow down or even halt the rust leaching problem. Carefully remove the old screws making sure you've found some replacements that are close to the original specs. Put a little drop of rust inhibitor in the holes, let dry and then insert replacement screws. I've never tried something like that myself ('cept on my truck body :D ) but it should put a stop to the corrosion problem. Remember ...rust begats rust. :D The rest is keeping the humidity down to prevent additional metal corrosion. A friend of mine bought one of those huge High def plasma TV's. Inside the box it came in were 2 big bags of Silica-Gel desiccant, big as your hand. They are now in a couple of my acoustic guitar cases.

There's a product out there called "Iron out", which is supposed to take rust out of tanks, laundry, and a bunch of things. It led me to wonder if maybe that rust stain could be "bleached" out somehow. Probably not though, without being able to irrigate the area, and I don't thiink that's possible.

Well, I might have to live with it. Thanks for the replies.

Edited by AC50