Plans Of A Cloud Guitar

Peppie

Hi all,

It is my long time dream to build a Cloud guitar (you know the one that Prince plays), but until now I have not been able to find plans or to find even enough specs to make a start. There are routing templates for sale on e-Bay, but that would not be as satisfying as to build a Cloud guitar completely from scratch.

So my question to you all is: is there anyone on this forum that has plans for the Cloud guitar and who is willing to share them?

At the moment I'm builing a copy of the Hohner TE Prinz which is the other guitar that Prince plays. I hope to finish this one somewhere in March (got to go house moving first :D ). I will post some pictures when it is finished.

Best regards, Peppie

If you want to build it "from scratch" you will take some accurate plans, then transfer them to plywood, mdf, or acrylic... and then you will make a template out of those plans, which you will use for routing.

I don't know about you, but unless I'm making an original design, I don't classify the template-making part as part of the "from scratch" bit. It's just the plans (made by someone else) transfered to 3D form so that you can use a router.

My recommendation, keeping in mind that I'm a layman of little consequence: buy the routing templates.

Greg

You could use this picture... you know the string scale, so with some calculations you could find the scale factor to rescale the pic. This guy says it's full scale... see and find out. It was 1 minute search on google :D

full scale pic

Here's a website about the building of a cloud guitar:

cloud guitar project website

I have cad plans, but not on this pc sorry.

Good luck!

Hi Alex,

I did find the web sites that you refer to. And I will use this information. However, I would be extremely happy if you could share the cad plans. Do you have them on another pc or do you have them as hardcopies (on paper)?

Please let me know if we can work something out :D .

Cheers, Peppie

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

My problem now is that i've laminated the body halves on(neck-through guitar), the lamination didn't take to well on one side of the body halves creating a gap in between the neck & body. I need to fill it with something but don't know what! It may not be seen once coats of paint are applied but don't want to take any chances with this.

You could use this picture... you know the string scale, so with some calculations you could find the scale factor to rescale the pic. This guy says it's full scale... see and find out. It was 1 minute search on google :D

full scale pic

Here's a website about the building of a cloud guitar:

cloud guitar project website

I have cad plans, but not on this pc sorry.

Good luck!

Poblems with the small gap have been corrected. Right now i'm having trouble with rounding off the outer edges which is just before both the top &bottom of the guitar I used a Dremel to start but it doesn't seem to be coming out according to the picture. Do I use a router bit to achieve this all around carve line. Please click on one off the above links for pictures.

Edited by carlosnelson

No the carve isn't even, so there are multiple angles. The best thing is to use a rasp, file or whatever machine by hand.

Just draw the depth of the carve on the sides of the body, then draw the carve line on top of the body. Now rasp/file the carve untill you reach both lines.

bodyedge.JPG

AlexVDL you r such a big help with my project. Thank U So Much

2day I routed my pickup cavities & control cavities as well & everything went well for my 1st time ever using a router. I ordered my router bit from Stew-Mac over a year ago & let me tell u, she's a beauty. I also invested in a Craftsman All-N-One tool which came in handy as well, as I didn't know it was a router as well including a router base. Just having a little trouble with the neck pickup, but I won't let it get me down. Thank goodness for Dremel tools & bits as they are great for this kind of design. Still having trouble also with the carve line between top of guitar & outer edge(Need a power-tool but don't know which one).