Inlay Signature.

Jehle

I've been reading up on inlays and I understand that using a combination of sawdust and glue is used to fill in gaps around the inlays.

I'm thinking about basically routing out my "signature logo" on the maple headstock and then packing that in with a rosewood or ebony sawdust mix. Then sanding it flush and putting a finish over it. Does this sound like a resonable thing to do, or will it look like crap? Too much work?

You know me, I have this weird idea of using exotic woods in place of little plasticy things and stickers...

Suggestions? Opinions?

Wow! great timing on your question I was just getting ready to write up a post on epoxy inlays when I saw your post. I will keep my thread separate, since it is a bit different technique, but I am sure we will be able to share some info from our answers.

One thing I have seen, is a guitar that had a light amber quilted maple headstock, and a logo inlayed in Holly. The holly was cut undersized by about 1/32", and it was filled with Mother of Pearl, and black stained wood filled epoxy, leaving a dark cheatline around the light logo on the med/light background.

The thing looked great, but I have no idea about the technique. I just saw the thing with a sign listing the materials used, and noting the holly and and Stained Mother of Pearl in wood filled Epoxy headstock artwork.

I wish I could have found the maker, and asked about it. Anything that looks that nice is probably too much work for me anyways...

Dave

That's cool. What type of epoxy did you use? How fine was the ebony dust? How thick was the mixture? did you just work it into the slot with a tool, and then wipe off the fretboard? It looks like the kind of thing where pinstriping tape would make good masking material. Would it look okay on a larger area, or is it mostly for filling in fine lines? I really like the look of the vine on the maple fretboard.

Thanks for the tips,

Dave

So, it can be done. Hadn't thought about using epoxy, just about glue with the dust. That's what the books I've read mention anyway. Glue would set a little slower I imagine so it could be cleaned or scraped off.

I suppose you fill in the routes and leave the material a little proud and sand it flush after it sets?