Looper Routing Question

El Dangerouso

Here is what I want to be able to do. I want to be able to record a pre-amped, effected signal, and play it back as is while I play along in real time with a different signal. E.g. record a clean, chorused and delayed part and play over it with an overdriven lead tone.

Here is what I have:

ISP Decimator(noise reduction)-->Preamp (with parallel and serial effects loops, one of which must be used by the Decimator)-->Roctron Intellifex(stereo in and out)-->Randall RT2/50 Power amp(one input)-->Weber MASS(not that this really matters in this case)

The looping would be done on a pedal, in this case a Headrush E2.

I'm assuming that I can come off the right side of the stereo out on the Intellifex, route it through the Headrush, and y it, along with the direct signal from the Intellifex, to a single input to the RT2/50. My really question is do I need to buffer/preamp the signal back to match levels? If so, what is the best way to go about doing that?

routingye8.jpg

is that what you had in mind?

You might be better off with a buffer infront of it, maybe an A/B/Y box which would be usefull turning on and off the loop sound too. You should be able to combine the pre-amp and loop boxes outputs with a Y cable though (although you'll have to fiddle with your volume levels on both units to make sure they'll sound ballanced with eachother).

sigpathjpg.jpg

I guess a picture is worth 1000 words. Here is the setup. The guitar inputs to the decimator and outputs to the input on the preamp. It has a second set of in and out that goes to one of the two effects loops on the preamp. Preamp stereo or mono out to Intellifex. The Intellifex has stereo out. Left would be direct to the poweramp, right to the headrush. I want to be able to record preamped and effected (with Intellifex). In your example it would record guitar dry, and play only through the effects; making it only possible to have clean tones looped. I was looked to do clean and dirty rythm and then play lead over the top. I want the loop to play back without any extra processing. My real quesion is, do I need to preamp the headrush or will it pump out enough level, and do I need to do something to the signal coming from the Intellifex to keep it from damaging the Headrush?

Right, but no overdrive/distortion. If I wanted to create a two guitar player situation (play a overdriven/distorted riff and loop it, while I solo over the top) I'd be hosed. I think I've solved this, anyway. I don't think I can hurt the looper with the signal coming out of the Intellifex, and I can even out levels and amp things up with the MX400 mixer from Behringer. It should be perfect. Thanks for taking the time to throw out your ideas. They definitely got me thinking with some different approaches to solving this problem. I have one more question for you. Does Dan Lyle still play for Bath?

Sad development; I'm sure he made the move mostly for cash. He is really the only worthwhile player the Eagles have. Some year, after rugby catches on in America (sadly, after the girlie sport of soccer will catch on it seems) we might even get to a world cup semi.