Is Loud String Scraping, Wiping Etc... Normal?

MichiganBoySB

How else am I to title this problem,

If its even a problem at all. Could it just be technique or some electrical problem that makes the pickups pickup any scraping or sliding of the fingers etc...? I understand there will be some but with this guitar of mine it almost sounds like any hitting of my hand on the strings causes my sound to be unclear.

Ken thanks

• 4 weeks later...

i play 9 gauges and get a nasty raspin sound when sliding up an down etc and its faint but annoyin especially when recording i think im gonna try rubbin in sum of ma surfboard wax onto the bottom 3 to see if this quitens the rasping sound, i'll let you know when i find ma surf soap first

im gonna try rubbin in sum of ma surfboard wax onto the bottom 3 to see if this quitens the rasping sound, i'll let you know when i find ma surf soap first

Where is the bad advise picture? What you may gain in loosing the rasping sound you will probably loose in tone quality and sustain.

There will always be some string noise unless you have some hella picky and weird technique of lifting and accurately pressing down each note.

Some people don't like Elixir (or similar coated) strings, but I do; and part of what I like about them is that they reduce string noise and give me a smoother overall feel. I'm back on regulars for electric right now, but coated strings might be the ticket for you.

im gonna try rubbin in sum of ma surfboard wax onto the bottom 3 to see if this quitens the rasping sound, i'll let you know when i find ma surf soap first

Where is the bad advise picture? What you may gain in loosing the rasping sound you will probably loose in tone quality and sustain.

never thought of that it was just a off the top of ma head idea