Shielding Question

j. pierce

I recently completed a single coil, single pickup guitar. (one P-90) Seems like the only noise is the slight noise to be expected with single coils. I didn't shield the cavity at all, but I used shielded cable for all wiring runs, and star grounding. Wiring is one of the cleanest jobs I've ever done, with as little exposed wiring outside of the shielding as physically possible.

I haven't shielded the cavity with tape or anything - considering that I used shielded cable everywhere, am I likely to see any improvement in noise if I also shield the cavity? I suppose I could just try it and see, but the irregular shape inside the cavity is going to make this a difficult task. Just curious what other people's experience is before I jump in on this is.

I recently completed a single coil, single pickup guitar. (one P-90) Seems like the only noise is the slight noise to be expected with single coils. I didn't shield the cavity at all, but I used shielded cable for all wiring runs, and star grounding. Wiring is one of the cleanest jobs I've ever done, with as little exposed wiring outside of the shielding as physically possible.

I haven't shielded the cavity with tape or anything - considering that I used shielded cable everywhere, am I likely to see any improvement in noise if I also shield the cavity? I suppose I could just try it and see, but the irregular shape inside the cavity is going to make this a difficult task. Just curious what other people's experience is before I jump in on this is.

Shielding the cavity should make a noticeable difference,especially in rooms with different lighting and electronic systems going on(i.e. 60 cycle hum),The coils pick all that up,so if you are just playing in your room right now when you test,you may experience something different playing somewhere else.

I would have to agree with goat and say that all your trying to do is block noise from everywere but the front of the pup i.e. where the strings are.I had a crappy strat copy that i shielded with aluminum tape and it sounded way better.(And I lived in a house with all flourescent lighting.)But really If you like the sound now why change it?

Wes

Okay, I'll have a go at shielding it and see what happens. I've had plenty of cheap guitars that going in and shielding did a great help to, but seeing as all the wiring runs on this guitar *are* shielded, I wasn't sure if there would be a difference. Thanks for the input, guys.

I am a big fan of shielded cable wiring...this shields the wires right around them, no space at all...so if done right, fantastic shielding. Of course, switches, pots and other components may still be exposed, so it is not a total solution, but easier and significantly better than none at all. It will also shield all the way from the pickups in spaces that often don't get shielded...so sometimes is better!

You do have to do it right though to avoid ground loops and such, but that applies to any earthing.

Also, single coils do hum, no way around it, shielding will help but never enough...but then there is nothing quite like the sound of a true single coil...so...

If your happy with the performance, it sounds fine...congratulations on having done the best wiring ever...it's a knack, but it sounds like you are getting it... well done... pete