Paf Pickups

trsteve

If you're talking about REAL PAFs, then you're talking about the pickups that Gibson used in select guitars from 1957 to 1960. Register at the Les Paul forum and spend a couple of days in the Vintage section and you'll learn all you need to know.

The going price is ~$4,000 each if you're looking for original solder joints on the covers. No joke. Expect to wait for them for years...if you want covers that have never been removed. The price point reflects nothing more than the demand for vintage mojo. Anything else is a "reissue".

You can get Timbuckers for about 10x less, and they sound just as nice. Lindy Fralin PAFs are good too.

Further down in price are Duncans.

• 2 weeks later...

The other thing to remember is that no 2 PAF pickups sound the same. Some sound great and some sound not so good. I've heard sound clips in A/B test and the boutique ones sound just as good maybe even better. (I'm kind of biased though since I make them). The only way I'd spend the money on the real deal is if I was restoring an old guitar that was worth six figures.