I Found A Supplier In Town

I did some sign work last year for a local Cabinet/Millwork Shop here in town, I wasnt into building guitars at the time. So recently I've been waiting for the chance to stop by to see about getting offcuts and stuff they'd throw in the dumpster. Luckily I needed to do a small lettering job on one of their trucks today and met the shop manager. He brought me over to an area where they keep their 'firewood', Holy Cr@p!!. Walnut, Mahogany, Maple pieces waiting to go in the furnace. Among the pieces I nabbed were a 1x6x16 pc of Walnut & 4 nice offcuts of 1½''mahogany roughly 4''x16'' :D . Sweeeet ! I tell him some types I could use like bubinga, spruce, rosewood, then I when I said zebra he said to follow him over to the work table. There he had the most amazing piece of zebra as a sample for an upcoming job. He tells me I must come back because if they get the job there will be many pieces for the fire. I filled my tote box about halfway, I didnt want to seem greedy. He invited me to come back often for more 'firewood' whenever I wanted. Wow, what a day. -Vinny

I went to take a pic of my bounty out in the shop, curse the dead batteries in the camera, arrrgh

I did some sign work last year for a local Cabinet/Millwork Shop here in town, I wasnt into building guitars at the time. So recently I've been waiting for the chance to stop by to see about getting offcuts and stuff they'd throw in the dumpster. Luckily I needed to do a small lettering job on one of their trucks today and met the shop manager. He brought me over to an area where they keep their 'firewood', Holy Cr@p!!. Walnut, Mahogany, Maple pieces waiting to go in the furnace. Among the pieces I nabbed were a 1x6x16 pc of Walnut & 4 nice offcuts of 1½''mahogany roughly 4''x16'' :D . Sweeeet ! I tell him some types I could use like bubinga, spruce, rosewood, then I when I said zebra he said to follow him over to the work table. There he had the most amazing piece of zebra as a sample for an upcoming job. He tells me I must come back because if they get the job there will be many pieces for the fire. I filled my tote box about halfway, I didnt want to seem greedy. He invited me to come back often for more 'firewood' whenever I wanted. Wow, what a day. -Vinny

I went to take a pic of my bounty out in the shop, curse the dead batteries in the camera, arrrgh

(I'm screwing up my reply)

Vinny, are you willing to share a bit? I'm in Dutchess and betting I'm not too far away from you. Great find! I'm always on the prowel for old, solid table tops, a cut down tree, etc. Problem is no place to put it! The only supplier for exotics in the area is Condon's. They're not cheap, but at least you can see what you're buying. - Tom

Sure Tom, we could both benefit. I'm located in Yorktown 10 min off the Taconic. I saw you were local and was going to contact you anyway. I was told Condons was expensive, though I havent been there yet. -Vinny

Sure Tom, we could both benefit. I'm located in Yorktown 10 min off the Taconic. I saw you were local and was going to contact you anyway. I was told Condons was expensive, though I havent been there yet. -Vinny

Cool! Give me a few weeks to clear up my life! I'll send you an email with my # and all. I'm in Fishkill right off I84. I spoke to a buddy of mine today who's been haunting a marine scrap boneyard near Tampa where he gets mahogany and teak to use in repairs on his boat. (He just returned yesterday) He said there is some larger stuff to be had and the prices aren't bad. I figure a 2 piece mahogany body would run in the low $30's. I have to educate him on what I'm looking for, but its a possibility!