Wet Sanding And Buffing Q&a

Hey all.

Okay, I'll start by firing a few questions and hope to get some replies.

I have four coats of nitro on the body and along the way had a drip or three. I flat sanded those down with 320 and a block to get them back to level. Everything looks good and flat... almost. There are low spots here and there but I am going to leave them for now. Yes?

I've noticed that in other posts people state that they wait a month or two before wet sanding so the lacquer hardens up. When I sanded with 320 today it has only been three days since I last sprayed. I must say that the sanding went very well. Lacquer didn't ball up or anything. I must state that I sand back and forth a few times using NO downward pressure, and then wipe all of the dust off with a soft cotton cloth before sanding again.

I had two nitro. rattle bombs from Stew Mac that did nothing but spit. I shipped them back to them and I am awaiting new cans.

Since I have almost level sanded the first four coats, I am thinking I'll need four more(?) so when I start wet sanding and buffing I'll have enough there to work with without sand through(?)

I bought Micro Finishing Paper (800, 1000, 1200, 1500, and 2000 grits), and the Color Tone medium and fine buffing compounds and the swirl remover polish and three of the foam buffing pads you chuck up in a hand held drill or drill press.

After four more coats of lacquer are put down, and the body sits for a month I should be ready to start wet sanding (with naphtha) and polishing.

Am I on the right track to get the desired finish?

B-rad in Akron

OK, nevermind then. :D

I have four coats of nitro on the body and along the way had a drip or three. I flat sanded those down with 320 and a block to get them back to level. Everything looks good and flat... almost. There are low spots here and there but I am going to leave them for now. Yes?

Yes, don't chase them yet.

I've noticed that in other posts people state that they wait a month or two before wet sanding so the lacquer hardens up. When I sanded with 320 today it has only been three days since I last sprayed. I must say that the sanding went very well. Lacquer didn't ball up or anything. I must state that I sand back and forth a few times using NO downward pressure, and then wipe all of the dust off with a soft cotton cloth before sanding again.

You're talking about two totally different things. It's perfectly fine to sand level after just a few days.

The point where you wait a month is when you are COMPLETELY DONE SHOOTING, and you are ready to do your wetsanding.

You do need to let it dry a full month when you -done-. But you're not done yet.

BTW, when you DO get to this point, you will start at 1800 with the microfinishing pads, nothing less than that.

No 1500, no 1000, no 800, no 600. You start at 1800 if you want a really sweet finish when you're done.

But we'll get back to that in a minute...

I had two nitro. rattle bombs from Stew Mac that did nothing but spit. I shipped them back to them and I am awaiting new cans.

Since I have almost level sanded the first four coats, I am thinking I'll need four more(?) so when I start wet sanding and buffing I'll have enough there to work with without sand through(?)

Seriously, all joking aside, you will need to shoot maybe a minimum of a dozen more coats.

If you're not willing to do this, all other information is useless, you will more than likely sand thru your finish and hit wood again, and have to start all over, or try to repair it....

I bought Micro Finishing Paper (800, 1000, 1200, 1500, and 2000 grits), and the Color Tone medium and fine buffing compounds and the swirl remover polish and three of the foam buffing pads you chuck up in a hand held drill or drill press.

After four more coats of lacquer are put down, and the body sits for a month I should be ready to start wet sanding (with naphtha) and polishing.

You're close, but no CEEGAR yet.

1. Once you get about 6 more coats on it, level sand it with 400. At that point, you are no longer allowed to use 220, or 320 on it again. Period.

2. Then, once you get it level sanded pretty close with the 400, shoot 4 more coats on it.

3. Then level sand it with 800. Use nothing less than 800 anymore.

4. Then you should be shooting your final 3-4 coats.

THIS IS WHERE YOU LET IT HANG FOR A MONTH.

5. After a month, you start wetsanding it with the 1800 and move up to 2000, then you compounds.

3. Then level sand it with 800. Use nothing less than 800 anymore.

When using nitro, I dont use anything fine than 600, EVER, for any mid coat sanding. I use 380 grit for the flat sections and edges, and 600 for the corners (because its much harder to rub through with finer grade), or to "scuff" the surface. The lacquer fills the 380 grit fine, so why bother spending more time using finer grades? There is much more chance of not getting it flat when using 800 grit, as it tends to follow the lumps and bumps because it simply cant cut as efficiently. I SOMETIMES use 600 on the third last coat, but rarely.

5. After a month, you start wetsanding it with the 1800 and move up to 2000, then you compounds.

This i dont understand. The difference between 1800 and 2000 is negligable, so why not just START and finish with 2000. By going 1800/2000 you are double sanding, and therefore much closer to stuffing up and rubbing through.

Finishing with NITRO is one of those things that you:

1 cant stick to a strict routine of when to rub back, or how many coats.

2 need to find your own 'groove'. What is comfortable for you, is RIGHT.