Another One Done {fanned Fret 7 String}

yeah, but looking better wouldn't make them sound better... slanting them makes a lot of sense with fanned frets, irregardless of looks...

Not really, IMO the harmonic nodes should be at about the same spot because you are extending the scale both ways! If you look at most of the builders that have made slanted boards, Novax(his design), Conklin, there are very few, if any models available with slanted pups, it looks as they are only dont aesthetically.

let me know if you need help with it

well if your offering, i'll keep that in mind. I'm very interested in a different approach to guitars... granted i probably shouldn't get too over my head seeing as how i'm only on my first build as of now. How much experience do you think someone should have before trying to build a guitar with a fanned fretboard?

by the way, nice guitar.

let me know if you need help with it

well if your offering, i'll keep that in mind. I'm very interested in a different approach to guitars... granted i probably shouldn't get too over my head seeing as how i'm only on my first build as of now. How much experience do you think someone should have before trying to build a guitar with a fanned fretboard?

by the way, nice guitar.

slotting the fb and laying out the bridge aer the only tricky parts... other than that it's just like any other build

yeah, but looking better wouldn't make them sound better... slanting them makes a lot of sense with fanned frets, irregardless of looks...

Not really, IMO the harmonic nodes should be at about the same spot because you are extending the scale both ways! If you look at most of the builders that have made slanted boards, Novax(his design), Conklin, there are very few, if any models available with slanted pups, it looks as they are only dont aesthetically.

think about it, its not about the harmonic nodes, because that changes anyways as soon as you push a fret. its about sound, consistent sound. i'm sure you, as well as many others, know this, the closer the pickup is to the bridge, the more trebly it is, the further away the bassier... for someone who's gonna play a fanned fret 7, generally they'd play some variant of metal, and wouldn't want the flubby low string that they'd get if the pickup were straight and therefore further from the bridge. i could understand not slanting the neck pickup, but the bridge pickup, in my very honest opinion, should be slanted, if anything to get the same consistency you'd get from a bridge pickup on a non fanned fret guitar... unless strats are your thing, and you like the slanted bridge pickup on non-fanned guitars...

i could understand not slanting the neck pickup, but the bridge pickup, in my very honest opinion, should be slanted, if anything to get the same consistency you'd get from a bridge pickup on a non fanned fret guitar... unless strats are your thing, and you like the slanted bridge pickup on non-fanned guitars...

Funny you say that, I once strung up my MIM strat B-B and loved the sound.

How do the pole piece positions work out? Do the strings sit exactly between the N-S poles (in which case you'd need a slightly more narrow string spacing)? Or did you have them custom-spaced?

i could understand not slanting the neck pickup, but the bridge pickup, in my very honest opinion, should be slanted, if anything to get the same consistency you'd get from a bridge pickup on a non fanned fret guitar... unless strats are your thing, and you like the slanted bridge pickup on non-fanned guitars...

How do the pole piece positions work out? Do the strings sit exactly between the N-S poles (in which case you'd need a slightly more narrow string spacing)? Or did you have them custom-spaced?

the string spacing was a deciding factor in slanting the pickups... the customer wanted to keep the neck fairly narrow

the pickups are dimarzios... nothing special

i did the opposite slant on my 7 string V, put the bass side of the pickup closer to the bridge, trebly side further away, it produced nice results, playing on the upper strings was a bit smoother, while the lower strings were way crunchy, with a dimarzio x2n-7