Aspen Wood?

I was in my local Lowe's store a couple days ago and I came across a piece of Aspen that had a serious quilt figuring to it...So I bought it. I've never worked with it before. It seems to have the consistancy of poplar. Anyone ever use it for a neck, top or body? It seems a little soft. Here is a block I glued up for kicks. You can't really see the figuring well.

aspen.jpg

From what I know about it, a company back in the 80s I believe used it extensively for chopstick manufacture for shipping over to Asia because it machined easily, however they had some issues with splintering and went out of business (cause who wants splinters in your mouth?). I personally wouldn't use it in a neck, however, I think for a drop top, or even a carved top there wouldn't be an problem.

Chris

Aspen is a very soft wood(softer than Basswood). You would have to be very careful with it or you are bound to get dings all over it. I would not use it for a neck wood it is pretty weak compaired to even the softer commonly used neck woods. You can find some great looking figure in Aspen, and it has a nice flash about it. Architects love the look and price of this wood for natural wood finishes.

Peace,Rich

i have no experience with aspen but I know that there are a Finish builder that uses Aspen on a regular basis. I don't remember if he used it for his line of accoustics or for his electrics... He used slow growing aspen from the nordern part of Europe and that might be a litle different.