Drying Wet Wood

I have some sycamore/maple (not sure which) that has been exposed to rain for a few days. How would i best go about drying it?

It is currently in my bedroom which is a farely constant warmish temp, probably an average room temp. It is unheated, and dry. The wood is not soking, but there is slight dampness.

Edited by prauny

Depending on how dry the wood was before it was in the rain for a couple days you should seal the end grain and make sure air is able to get to all surfaces(I am assuming this is a thicker piece). If the wood was pretty much dried before it got rained on it will dry out in a month or so(don't try to speed the process just let it do it's thang). If it was green before it was out in the rain your dry time could be higher. One way or the other play it safe seal the ends and keep air flow even to all sides(don't set it on a flat surface).

peace,Rich

:D

The best thing you can do is keep it stored flat. I'd lay it on top of some other pieces of wood, laying perpendicular to it. This way air can circulate underneath and around the wood you are drying. The best advice someone gave me when I started working with wood is that "wood stays as it lays". For the most part, I think this is fairly true. If you lean it up against the wall, you will find it warped in a couple of days.

Thanks for your quick replies dudes. The piece i have is from some old furniture so it was very dry before. Its about 3.5cm thick. I'll lay it on some of my other wood for a month or two. Im in no rush to use it, so it can have all the time it needs.

Its going to be used as a top(or two tops maybe) for a les paul style guitar. Im always finding wood thats being thrown out, but at this time of the year i have to get it quick before the elements get to it.

What can i seal the ends with though?

Edited by prauny

as far as sealing just use some wax, cover at least the first 1/2 inch of each end, Remember to heat your wax in a double boiler though, you can paint it on or dip it depending on the size of the end of wood and the receptacle that has the wax. Otherwise spend the $$$ for a good sealer from woodcraft or other similar company. DO NOT USE WATER SEALERS like Thompsons or other comparable products. worst case get some some pruning spray from a landscape dealer.

Just my 2 cents,

MK