How Long To Leave Wood Before Using It

That's good to hear - I only get chance to build at the weekend once every 2 or 3 weeks since I'm at Uni most of the time, so there's not much problem with waiting that long to use it. It's 120 inches (3m) long by 4 inches square and it's destined for 6 (one piece) Les Paul necks, so I'll probably get it cut up into 3 equal lengths tommorrow and sticker/pile the boards in my bedroom until I get chance to use them - it's a bit cumbersome in its current length.

That's good to hear - I only get chance to build at the weekend once every 2 or 3 weeks since I'm at Uni most of the time, so there's not much problem with waiting that long to use it. It's 120 inches (3m) long by 4 inches square and it's destined for 6 (one piece) Les Paul necks, so I'll probably get it cut up into 3 equal lengths tommorrow and sticker/pile the boards in my bedroom until I get chance to use them - it's a bit cumbersome in its current length.

If you are using that wood for necks you want the wood to be well stabalized. 16/4 lumber dries at a much slower rate than thinner lumber. As far as what is "dry" that will depend on your humidity were you will use the wood. Wood is stable in my shop at 6-8% year round. I would not use wood for necks until it reads 8%(because I know it is not stable in my shop). I would allow the wood at least a few months to equalize as a minimum. If I took in wood at 10% that was 16/4 I would leave it for about 6 months in my shop(min.) especially if it was for necks. Also remember reading the moisture content of thicker wood is generally less accurate. So even though it is supposed to be 10% it may be a little higher depending on how they tested.

Peace,Rich