My V Is Almost Done!

:D Guitars are funny animals you know that? There are so many variables as to what can make a guitar sound like crap. I'm happy with how the finish turned out. I thought that after putting in a 1meg volume pot that I'd get more treble out of it but I dont. I still have the tone pot maxed all the time, prolly should get a fender or something if this is what i'm always struggling with. Or try out a .01 thingy on the tone pot... what you think?guitarVpics027.jpg

Ken

Nice looking V! Have you tried 500k ohm pots? That should brighten up the tone. A capacitor may help too.

He already has 1meg pots. 500k would darken the tone. What pickups do you have in there? How is the tone unplugged compared to your other guitars that your happy with? Is it darker? brighter? the same? IMO if this is the only guitar you play through that amp (very nice btw) just turn up the treble control a bit on the amp. If your trying to match it to other guitars than I would suggest changing strings, making a bone nut, and changing the capacitor on the tone control. If all that fails your pretty much stuck with a pickup change. Get something nice and bright.

Also may I ask what is the output of the pickups on your other guitars? If this guitar has higher output pickups than your used to your going to get a much darker tone and there is nothing you can do but get lower output pickups.

Nice looking V! Have you tried 500k ohm pots? That should brighten up the tone. A capacitor may help too.

He already has 1meg pots. 500k would darken the tone. What pickups do you have in there? How is the tone unplugged compared to your other guitars that your happy with? Is it darker? brighter? the same? IMO if this is the only guitar you play through that amp (very nice btw) just turn up the treble control a bit on the amp. If your trying to match it to other guitars than I would suggest changing strings, making a bone nut, and changing the capacitor on the tone control. If all that fails your pretty much stuck with a pickup change. Get something nice and bright.

Also may I ask what is the output of the pickups on your other guitars? If this guitar has higher output pickups than your used to your going to get a much darker tone and there is nothing you can do but get lower output pickups.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Yea my volume is 1meg with blender pot and TBX pot. These Kent Armstrongs are in there now (pickups). They were put in there by this one repair guy at a music store... not even sure the output of them. I do have another guitar but it's currently with a luthier in Seattle Washington (can't wait to get it back, I hope). Today I've worked with it trying to get it to play faster and feel better. The .060 E string is kinda huge. The one thing that troubles me is how after shielding the entire thing with copper; it still seems the same (static noise that is). The more treble I add brings in more noise. At this point I basically have to wait till I get my other guitar and see if this luthier is as good as they say he is. Cuz so far I haven't gotten closure on this guitar playing business and it just keeps costing me a fortune. O well I'll keep you informed.

Ken

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Yea my volume is 1meg with blender pot and TBX pot. These Kent Armstrongs are in there now (pickups). They were put in there by this one repair guy at a music store... not even sure the output of them. I do have another guitar but it's currently with a luthier in Seattle Washington (can't wait to get it back, I hope). Today I've worked with it trying to get it to play faster and feel better. The .060 E string is kinda huge. The one thing that troubles me is how after shielding the entire thing with copper; it still seems the same (static noise that is). The more treble I add brings in more noise. At this point I basically have to wait till I get my other guitar and see if this luthier is as good as they say he is. Cuz so far I haven't gotten closure on this guitar playing business and it just keeps costing me a fortune. O well I'll keep you informed.

Ken

------------------------------------------------------------------

Did some more work on this V ... here is a little video for ya

http://s135.photobucket.com/albums/q131/Cr...tarVpics028.flv

I kind of like the tone, but it feels like it's missing a little oomph somewhere. And there is a lot of buzz when you aren't playing, is the bridge grounded? Oh yeah, try and play over a rhythm / drum track, those always make the coolest videos!

--------------------------------------

I hear ya on the buzzing noise when I'm not playing... the little wire ought to be grounded. Thats one of the things that just pisses the hell out of me is extraneous noise! That was the whole purpose of ordering away for copper and sheilding the thing and yet I still get buzz! I could be this amp too, I have a Mesa Boogie Dual rectifier I haven't plugged into yet so I'll see whats up with that.

Ken