Polyurethane Lacquer

This thread should guide you a bit on what to decide on.

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=1892

To my understanding, polyurathane and laquer are two different types of finishes. But there are different types of laquers (water based and oil based, from what I've read).

Thanks for that - I've been reading up and I think Polyurethane would be best for my needs. Can anybody recommend one on sale in the UK that you can spray? I don't mind if it's a rattlecan or somehing I can load into an airbrush

This thread should guide you a bit on what to decide on.

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=1892

To my understanding, polyurathane and laquer are two different types of finishes. But there are different types of laquers (water based and oil based, from what I've read).

Thanks for that - I've been reading up and I think Polyurethane would be best for my needs. Can anybody recommend one on sale in the UK that you can spray? I don't mind if it's a rattlecan or somehing I can load into an airbrush

Rustin's Plastic Coating is a good choice for guitar finishing. It's a two-part finish, harder and more durable than lacquer, but not as expensive or finicky as the professional polyurethanes (at least that what I hear). Setch uses Rustins, so he might be a good person to ask. A little searching will bring up a number of threads about it, too.

I wouldn't recommend spraying an entire guitar with an airbrush. That will take forever. If you can swing it, buy a gun and compressor... you won't regret it. Otherwise, you should take a look at something like the Preval system.

Also, I don't know if you have Sherwin-Williams over there, but Westhemann has been using a two-part finish he bought from them, and spraying with the Preval system. He seems to be pretty happy with it.