Replacing A Neck

Hi,

I bought a Harmony Rocket semi accoustic second-hand in the mid 60's, but then time moved on and I am ashamed to say that I let her fester in her case in a slightly damp attic.

I have had it fixed as best as my luthier can do, and she sounds great - apart from the neck being warped so that the action above fret 5 is only good enough for slide!!

I found a used neck on ebay, and it's arrived, and it's dead flat!! Miracle # 1.

It is about the same vintage as the Rocket - and like the odiginal has a "steel reinforced neck" rather than a truss rod. It looks like it's been taken off and replaced a zillion times, so the screw holes are massive and have already been plugged with wood matchsticks.

What's the best way to plug the holes so I can get a tight joint?

Thanks in advance

Denis

Adding to what southpa has said, it probably wouldn't hurt to get yourself a plug cutter and make your own plugs(dowels) for this job. Cutting a plug across the grain rather than parallel to it will give you a stronger repair.

peace,

russ

Edited by thegarehanman

Cutting a plug across the grain rather than parallel to it will give you a stronger repair.

peace,

russ

Thanks Russ and Southpa.

That's where my thinking was going.

I have never thought of using a plug cutter parallel to the grain. It seems to defeat the object somehow - or am I being more stupid than usual? When would you want to cut parallel?

Denis

Your thinking is sound. There really is no time when cutting parallel to the grain is a wise choice unless for some cosmetic reason. However, dowels are traditionally supplied with the grain running parallel to their length, so people unfamiliar with plugs might cut parallel to the grain without giving it a second thought.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the encouragement guys.I completed the job on Sunday, and have been in seventh heaven ever since.

The Rocket is now not only playable, but I think she sounds better than when I bought her in the mid 60's. The action is probably as close to as low as it can get - that took a lot more time than I expected.

There's a nice growl to the lead pup when it's played hard, and the rhythm pup is very open with a very slight feeling of reverb to it.

Thanks again giving me the shot that I needed to face a new challenge!!

Denis